Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries Not Updating

jpmh
Level 3

Intuit support clams the problem is my computer, but I'm not convinced.

Neither Basic nor Professional are properly installing updates, so I can't e-file. Problem started today - before today I could e-file at will.

I've installed Basic on a second computer and the problem persists. Both computers are stand alone and "unrelated"

First computer running Windows 11. Second is running Windows 10. Neither has had any new software or hardware added for at least a year.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Details:

I've gone through all the recommended fixes

1)  Update Installed products says no updates available

2) Refresh Updates indicates updates are downloading, and then installed.

3)  efile rejected for Proseries not being up to date.

4) uninstall and reinstall Proseries - get updates and install them

5) efile rejected for Proseries not being up to date.

6) Installed Proseries on second computer. Download install latest updates Same issue persists.

Any thoughts or advice?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
jpmh
Level 3

UPDATE:

Today I logged into both Professional and Basic.

Did not attempt to update either one. Made no changes to my problem client files.

Tried to e-file the returns that were getting rejected yesterday for error 54 (ProSeries not up to date)

All went thru fine.

So it appears to me the problem was not in my PS application nor my client files, nor my computer - but something on the Intuit end when trying to accept e-files. It appears they have corrected that as now things are working fine and I did nothing between yesterday's attempts and this morning (except a few bourbons!)

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and help.

View solution in original post

27 Comments 27
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

have you tried refresh updates? 

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

oh sorry, i think you said you did refresh

Re-licensing?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Do you see Error 54?  https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/electronic-filing/help/resolving-error-54-attempting-to-e-fi...

Is this with all returns? or one particular return?  All return types?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jpmh
Level 3

Yes Error 54

0 Cheers
David Connell
Level 2

I also keep getting error  code 54 today.   Updates not installed.   I have refreshed three time and re-booted my PC.   If two of us are having the same problem - and just today.   It is likely something more on Intuit side.

jpmh
Level 3

All that I've tried

0 Cheers
jpmh
Level 3

I'm on the phone right now with Intuit to let them know I'm not alone.

I spent about 3 hrs with them this morning until they gave up and said it was my problem. I'm trying to convince them otherwise now. Will update when I know more.

0 Cheers
mphillips1994
Level 3

I can't update either. Form 8379 was supposed to be available in this update but it's still showing not available but update available.  I've tried refresh also and still nothing.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

PS has a Toolhub, sounds like youve already done everything that its supposed to do though.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/system-responses/help/fix-common-problems-and-errors-with-th...

jpmh
Level 3

Thanks - I found that link prior to calling Intuit and tired everything on it. Nothing helped.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Use the Review button on the toolbar and run through the returns youre trying to EF, make sure theres not some rogue form in there that still isnt final...it wont show an error on your forms in use window, but it will stop it from being EFiled.

jpmh
Level 3

Right - thanks I did try that too.

jpmh
Level 3

Thanks Lisa. Tried that too....

David Connell
Level 2

I just got off the phone with ProSeries support and they said it has to be a problem in my PC.      

The issue is that when I refresh updates, they download but they don't install.   

Wasn't a problem yesterday when I e-filed.   Or all of the past month with other returns.   But it is today.   

Cannot e-file - ProSeries version not current.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You looked at your update logs? I dont see the updates install either but they do install.
Top menu bar Information > Logs> Updates Log

nothing recent showing?

We're sorry to hear you're having this issue. What returns are you attempting to e-file when this error occurs? 

jpmh
Level 3

Hi Lisa - just checked - shows a whole list of updates being applied today.

Intuit had me check my version numbers and they said my program IS up to date.

I just got off the phone with them (a second multi-hour call for today), and still not resoltion.

They had me send them a sanitized file of one of the ones I'm having trouble with and they said it was "clean".

They ran out of ideas and I ran out of energy for the day, so the problem remains unresolved .

Time for some bourbon and deep thought. I'll revisit tomorrow.

0 Cheers
jpmh
Level 3

David - exactly my experience with Intuit.

As noted earlier, I loaded PS on a second computer and the problem remains.

Done trying to resolve this today, but Intuit continues to believe it's not their problem.

I'll get back at it tomorrow, and will keep you posted. Please also let me know if you make any progress.

John

jpmh
Level 3

For me - it's a 1040 extension request (Form 4868) - nothing more.

The 1040 is pretty well populated, but it's not using any unreleased forms. 

4868 is frozen and there is no tax due (refund expected)

File was sanitized and sent to Intuit for inspections. It was declared "clean"

0 Cheers
jpmh
Level 3

My Software versions (For Basic) is wPro.2021.09.00.13

Intuit support said that is up to date. Yet When I try to e-file I get the error 54 ProSeries is not current.

Note:

On call this AM I was told that is not the current version.

On a call this afternoon I was told that is the current version

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I dont aim to offend by siding with Intuit against you but in this case I think they might be right. There have not been any up[dates because there is nothing just yet to update. I have been efiling all day and have not had the problems you are talking about. Good luck in getting this solved.

rcooley25
Level 11

Recomend fire ball whiskey

jpmh
Level 3

LOL!

jpmh
Level 3

Thanks - I'm not offended. But also not convinced Intuit is right that the problem is "my computer".  Their recommendation was to take it to an IT expert to get it fixed. I'm petty sure that will lead nowhere

All evidence points to something in the PS environment not the underlying computer system hosting it - especially since I have the problem on 2 different computers and others on this thread are experiencing the same problem as me.

I'm a former computer design engineer and I've debugged problems like this for many years. I have some ideas to test tomorrow that I hope will shed more light on this for both me and the others having the same problem.

Hope your system stays on track for you. 

One final thought - I've used ProSeries for 13 years and love it. This is not PS bashing nor Intuit bashing. I'm not putting either down. There's a problem here to be solved and everyone is doing their best to help. I appreciate the Inituit help desk folks I spoke with today and all the ideas put forward in this thread. I just don't agree with Intuit's conclusion as to the source of the problem. Time will tell.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

GLASS.png

jpmh
Level 3

UPDATE:

Today I logged into both Professional and Basic.

Did not attempt to update either one. Made no changes to my problem client files.

Tried to e-file the returns that were getting rejected yesterday for error 54 (ProSeries not up to date)

All went thru fine.

So it appears to me the problem was not in my PS application nor my client files, nor my computer - but something on the Intuit end when trying to accept e-files. It appears they have corrected that as now things are working fine and I did nothing between yesterday's attempts and this morning (except a few bourbons!)

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and help.

jpmh
Level 3

David:

I promised to let you know if I learned anything.

Haven't learned or tired anything new from yesterday, but today I'm able to e-file without getting the "ProSeries not current" error

Hope you see the same thing today. Since I did not do anything between yesterday and today on my system, I suspect there was some kind of glitch on the Intuit end for e-file transmission attempts for certain client files. Not sure what the client file issue might have been, but I didn't even open my suspect files this morning - just tried to e-file them and they were accepted.

Hope you see the same thing. Good Luck.

0 Cheers