Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

premium tax credit

dseplee
Level 1

I have a client who received unemployment benefits in January 2021 for unemployment weeks in December 2020 (two weeks in arrears) and reported on the 2021 Form 1099-G.  She did not claim UC benefits in 2021.  Based on reading the instructions, it would appear that the benefits would have had to have been paid/received for eligible weeks in 2021  in order to qualify for the 133% household income on the Premium Tax Credit line 5 of Form 8962.    If the UC benefits were received in 2021 but for 2020 UC weeks, should the 133% household income  and resulting credit still apply?  Thanks for any thoughts!

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Do they have the 1099g for unemployment benefits paid to them in 2021?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

My reading of the statute agrees with yours.  See ARPA Sec. 9663.

"who has received, or has been approved to receive,
unemployment compensation for any week beginning during
2021"

dseplee
Level 1

Yes, they do have a 1099-G but the benefits weeks were in 2020.  It seems that technically the benefit weeks need to be in 2021.

0 Cheers
dseplee
Level 1

It sure seems like that it the correct interpretation, however, Proseries doesn't let me override the unemployment benefits in 2021 checkbox or the 133% household income. Thanks for the input!

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Rick, out of curiosity, does Drake have an option to disallow it (or to allow it if the payment wasn't made until 2022)?

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

@TaxGuyBill wrote:

Rick, out of curiosity, does Drake have an option to disallow it (or to allow it if the payment wasn't made until 2022)?

I don't see any way to do this return correctly in Drake.

It is a fairly fringe case though and I'm sure with an email to support they would write a patch.  All they need is a checkbox somewhere to turn off the 133%.  I even tried skipping the 1099-G and entering directly on Sch 1 Line 7 but that still triggered the 133%.

0 Cheers