Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering Excess Advance Premium Tax Credit Calculations

troy
Level 3

I am entering information in ProSeries related to Form 1095-A that the client provided. 

However, it appears other factors can impact this calculation.

For instance, on the HSA worksheet, clicking "Family" on this worksheet adjusts the calculation for this credit.

Other than directly entering items from the 1095-A, what other considerations are there for this calculation / form?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Just enter the 1095A as shown. See this link for information on items that may effect the credit.

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/questions-and-answers-on-the-premiu....

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@troy wrote:

on the HSA worksheet, clicking "Family" on this worksheet adjusts the calculation for this credit.

Other than directly entering items from the 1095-A, what other considerations are there for this calculation / form?

Anything that changes AGI can change the Premium Tax Credit.

I suspect that you had entered a HSA contribution (perhaps code W from Box 12 of a W-2).  Until you tell ProSeries that you qualify for the contribution, it assumes you DON'T qualify for it and it adds it to income/AGI.  But when you checked the "Family" button, you told ProSeries the client qualifies, so it no longer included that in their income/AGI.  So removing that HSA amount from AGI is what caused the Premium Tax Credit to change.

troy
Level 3

I notice that after entering the 1095-A, an error is generated for the question "Can you be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return."

Why is that?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Why is that?"

Q5, here: https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/questions-and-answers-on-the-premiu...

The taxpayer and not the dependent, would claim the credit.

Also, if a W2 employee contributes to an HSA through work, it isn't also entered separately. The W2 shows it already is a pre-tax contribution.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers