Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxpayer got Married in March 2023 Premium Tax Credit Problem

yeknod
Level 3

Taxpayer got married in March 2023.  TP and his daughter were on the Marketplace insurance.  His new wife had her own insurance through her work. 

Pro series is calculating a large amount of premium tax credit payback because of her income being included in the return.  Is anyone familiar with the Alternative Calculation for Year of Marriage?  I entered the info for the Alternative family size and start month and it changed nothing.  Maybe I don't have the Alternative family size entered correctly.  I entered 2 for the TP and 2 for the Spouse.  I entered 1 and 3 for the start and end month for the TP and 4 and 12 for the spouse.  Is that correct?

Are there any other options to reduce the premium payback?

Since the wife had insurance thru her work, will that help reduce the amount of payback?

Thanks in Advance!

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Unfortunately, the Alternative Calculation very often does not reduce the repayment.

Filing as MFS may limit the repayment.  If they qualify for deductible IRAs or HSAs, that could possibly reduce the income enough to reduce the repayment.