Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Secure PDFs from Banks and Financial Institutions

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

We know that financial institutions only make Client information available through secure portals and downloadable only from their secure websites. Does anyone know if the are moving to use more secure pdfs or their characteristics.

I use  adobe acrobat dc as my pdf printer & editor.  (It aint cheap). 

I generally print the 1099B pages from a consolidated 1099 to an adobe pdf the attach it to the EF for the 8949 reporting. Has always worked fine.

The other night, I rec'd a pdf from JP Morgan.  When I tried to print and save the 1099B only, at first  it seemed like it was working normally, but then it launched my 'MS Notepad' into a continuous loop that I couldn't stop. I ended up having to shut down & reboot.  3 separate times this occurred... in between I printed and saved pages from other pdfs on hand....  I did try my pdf editor on the file and received a permissions (from author) message and password prompt.

Anyone else experiencing this (mis)behavior?  Is this a new security protocol that we get to deal with?

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

Luckily, I don't have JP Morgan sending me anything.  If by chance I do get something from them I'll just forward it to you since you have experience dealing with them 😁

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

I have experienced the inability to extract certain pages - noncovered transactions- from multi page brokerage statements. Can't remember the names but I think Merrill Lynch was one.

My workarounds:

Print on paper and scan the pages I need and then attach

or Enter the transactions in the software,

It does have something to do with the security.

We also use Acrobat DC.

P.S. I haven't gotten the loopy thing (yet). I just get told I don't have permission to do that/I need the master password.

Ex-AllStar
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

I think we’ll see more pdfs with these restrictions as compliance departments look for new ways to make our lives miserable. I’m hoping the loopy thing is a conflict on my workstation, I’ll ask my IT what he thinks…. Your workaround sort of defeats the purpose of being paperless…. I ended up just attaching the entire (124 page) pdf to the return…. I did put a note in preparer notes to the IRS employees (who no longer have to answer phones, but now open each pdf and compare it to the returns) apologizing and explaining that the 1099B is on pages 14-73 of the attachment.

Hi Susan… hope you’re well… 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround