Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Montana 1041?

Kobebean
Level 3

Does Montana require a 1041 return?  I am filing for federal but notice you can't add the 1041 for Montana. 

Thanks

0 Cheers
18 Comments 18
qbteachmt
Level 15
0 Cheers
Kobebean
Level 3

Thanks but I was referring to why doesn't ProSeries have a 1041 option on the state products.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"why doesn't ProSeries have a 1041 option on the state products."

Because it doesn't apply, or doesn't even exist, or there is something else you are supposed to be using, instead, which may or may not be in that program. Have you looked here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/proseries/forms-finder/

You know not everything is in that program, right? And it seems you are looking for a form that doesn't exist. Did you read the info I provided? That's why I gave the links.

"The fiduciary of a resident estate or trust must file a Form FID-3 (Montana Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts). The fiduciary of a nonresident estate or trust must file a Form FID-3 (Montana Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts) if the estate or trust receives Montana source income or if at least one of the beneficiaries is a resident of Montana during the tax year. A return is not required if the total income of the estate or trust is less than $2,580."

"The 2021 Form FID-3 must be filed for the calendar year 2021 or the fiscal year beginning in 2021."

"Unless the tax return is filed electronically, a fiduciary must include a complete copy of federal Form 1041 and all related forms and schedules."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

You know there is no Form 1040 for Montana, as well, right? Because the MT Individual tax return is Form 2.

Fed Numbers don't translate into State Numbers.

0 Cheers
Kobebean
Level 3

Thanks Captain obvious but I am not doing a 1040 return.  You obviously don't prepare 1041 Trust returns.  There is no option to pick Montana as a state when filing a TRUST TAX return in Pro Series. Under state products when adding it lists 1041 and you check mark it. CA for example is 541 when you do the return.  I was asking why Pro Series doesn't support it. It appears MT has a Trust return that has to be filled out manually since Pro Series doesn't support for unknown reasons. 

0 Cheers
Kobebean
Level 3

Dude I don't need you to list out the parameters whether I need to file a return or not. Lol. Wtf. Simply asked why they don't support it. I already did the return. Income passes through to the k-1 anyway. Doubt you know what that means considering it just looks like you are looking up information the same as me and you are not familiar with 1041 returns. I already found the correct form before you even responded. I thought maybe there was a pending update which allow for the state Trust version.  Go Eat a snickers bar. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

There never was a comment on whether you needed to file or not. You posted about something that does not exist.

"Doubt you know what that means"

Dude...Did you notice the last two characters of my username? You're welcome.

0 Cheers
Kobebean
Level 3

Please, You have no idea about Trust returns and who cares that your username ended in MT. That's a vague reference. You thought I was talking about 1040s. If you don't know the answer don't pretend and look it up and then say did you look at the link I posted? Btw, didn't you post the info below which clearly lists when you need to file? I don't know why this forum is full of complete Aholes who are not here to help but give out sarcastic responses to questions. If you don't want to help then don't answer and certainly don't pretend to know only to look up the info on google. That's ridiculous. I did that all before you responded with your sarcastic responses. There is no way for me to know why Pro Series does not support state filings for Trust returns asshat. That's why I asked. 

You know not everything is in that program, right? And it seems you are looking for a form that doesn't exist. Did you read the info I provided? That's why I gave the links.

"The fiduciary of a resident estate or trust must file a Form FID-3 (Montana Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts). The fiduciary of a nonresident estate or trust must file a Form FID-3 (Montana Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts) if the estate or trust receives Montana source income or if at least one of the beneficiaries is a resident of Montana during the tax year. A return is not required if the total income of the estate or trust is less than $2,580."

"The 2021 Form FID-3 must be filed for the calendar year 2021 or the fiscal year beginning in 2021."

"Unless the tax return is filed electronically, a fiduciary must include a complete copy of federal Form 1041 and all related forms and schedules."

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"You thought I was talking about 1040s."

No, I pointed out the Fed Numbers are not the same for States.

"didn't you post the info below which clearly lists when you need to file?"

You refer to where I highlighted the Form Number for you, but in context. Including the reference that is directly to Form 1041.

"don't pretend to know only to look up the info on google"

I have MT DOR bookmarked, along with MT entity lookups, audit and other filings, because I use them for work. The MT reference is specific not vague.

If you meant to ask, why doesn't Intuit recognize that MT forms could also be linked and generated by Fed filings, out of convenience to the price they charge, that's a different question.

You seem to read a lot into the attempts on the part of a peer user that was pointing out where you went wrong in the initial question of MT Form 1041. Now you seem to be going over the edge of reason, for no reason at all. Next time a peer user volunteers to help, you don't have to snap back. It isn't how to play nice on the internet.

0 Cheers
Kobebean
Level 3

Fine I guess I am wasting more time on this. 

You wrote this

Here: https://montana.servicenowservices.com/citizen/kb?id=kb_article_view&sysparm_article=KB0013185

https://mtrevenue.gov/publications/montana-form-fid-3-income-tax-instructions-for-estates-and-trusts...

I posted this after you replied with links. "Thanks but I was referring to why doesn't ProSeries have a 1041 option on the state products. "

IF you have ever done Trust returns before and clearly you haven't, when you go to add the state there is a 1041 box NEXT TO THE STATE. That's why I asked why isn't there a 1041 option because I didn't know Proseries didn't support it. Maybe I figured somebody would just know and tell me or better yet perhaps there was a pending update. Of course not because AHoles exist here. Same thing I posted earlier. That's below. This was after you reference 1040

Here's your response

"You know there is no Form 1040 for Montana, as well, right? Because the MT Individual tax return is Form 2".

"Fed Numbers don't translate into State Numbers."

Pretty clear what I am talking about. This was the first time I explained it.

Thanks Captain obvious but I am not doing a 1040 return.  You obviously don't prepare 1041 Trust returns.  There is no option to pick Montana as a state when filing a TRUST TAX return in Pro Series. Under state products when adding it lists 1041 and you check mark it. CA for example is 541 when you do the return.  I was asking why Pro Series doesn't support it. It appears MT has a Trust return that has to be filled out manually since Pro Series doesn't support for unknown reasons. 

So why are you talking about 1040's again?  Scroll up to learn about what happens when you add a state trust return to your 1041 return and why it says 1041 next to the states or go back to the original comments and read about it again.  Better yet pretend do an actual return and then go to add the state returns and see 1041 listed for yourself. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"because I didn't know Proseries didn't support it."

Clearly answered by giving the link to Forms Finder, for you to find the form; by giving you the right ID, because you keep asking about 1041, and by commenting, "You know not everything is in that program, right?"

So, three times, you were given info to help yourself.

And now you have another week to submit, because MT has issued a formal filing deadline delay due to weather.

Have fun.

0 Cheers
Kobebean
Level 3

Ahhhh, what's the matter? Does someone not like it when they wrong? Did it take you 24 hours to say the same thing that I already went over? Didn't I already go over that in the last post or are you just going to ignore it because you have nothing else to say? Btw, I believe I said yesterday the return was already done so I don't need the extra week.  Maybe learn to read and comprehend. Hopefully you are not preparing anyone's taxes given your total incompetent responses. 

Read and comprehend below Montana Troller. If you aren't trying to troll than you have bigger problems in life. Here it is again from yesterday. You still haven't addressed why you were mentioning 1040 when I never did. lol. I look forward to your response tomorrow with the same thing because you have nothing. I guess there really is nothing to do in Montana. 

Fine I guess I am wasting more time on this. 

You wrote this

Here: https://montana.servicenowservices.com/citizen/kb?id=kb_article_view&sysparm_article=KB0013185

https://mtrevenue.gov/publications/montana-form-fid-3-income-tax-instructions-for-estates-and-trusts...

I posted this after you replied with links. "Thanks but I was referring to why doesn't ProSeries have a 1041 option on the state products. "

IF you have ever done Trust returns before and clearly you haven't, when you go to add the state there is a 1041 box NEXT TO THE STATE. That's why I asked why isn't there a 1041 option because I didn't know Proseries didn't support it. Maybe I figured somebody would just know and tell me or better yet perhaps there was a pending update. Of course not because AHoles exist here. Same thing I posted earlier. That's below. This was after you reference 1040

Here's your response

"You know there is no Form 1040 for Montana, as well, right? Because the MT Individual tax return is Form 2".

"Fed Numbers don't translate into State Numbers."

Pretty clear what I am talking about. This was the first time I explained it.

So why are you talking about 1040's again?  Scroll up to learn about what happens when you add a state trust return to your 1041 return and why it says 1041 next to the states or go back to the original comments and read about it again.  Better yet pretend do an actual return and then go to add the state returns and see 1041 listed for yourself. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"You still haven't addressed why you were mentioning 1040 when I never did"

You kept asking for MT 1041, which doesn't exist, the same way there is no MT 1040. Do you realize how many people post on this forum that are not even US preparers? Nearly everything can be outsourced, and we see some amazing questions. No one here knows you, who you are, where you are, what you know professionally. Other than, with everything in this topic, you are giving a great representation of your true personality.

Do you even remember what you first asked: "Does Montana require a 1041 return?"

I provided links to the topics that explained what you wanted is FID-3 and to the place to Download it and if you were submitting it paperfile, it would need to include the paper 1041.

"It appears MT has a Trust return that has to be filled out manually since Pro Series doesn't support for unknown reasons."

It's not really "unknown." It's a matter of marketing.

Nope; there is nothing else to discuss.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

By the way, if you are reading emails from the forum, you really should come to your topic directly, because, as I already noted, I am not a keyboard warrior; I make a lot of errors, then I review and edit and update it, so the topic has the corrected input. No reason to rail about something that was a rough draft.

0 Cheers
Kobebean
Level 3

I am taking no blame for you not being able to read and comprehend. You are total dumbass. End of story. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Next time someone gives you exactly what you asked for, you might realize your own errors contribute to the confusion you had.

0 Cheers
Kobebean
Level 3

The only confusion is your inability to read properly.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Pro Series doesn't prepare MT fiduciary returns. 

PS doesn't prepare many others,  either.

The end.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers