Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving Error - Fed employer EIN is invalid for Electronic Filing

BizSvc4u
Level 2

I am receiving a diagnostic error indicating that an employer EIN is invalid for electronic filing. I verified the EIN through our state business registration site. Is there a work-around to get this return electronically filed.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

It doesnt flag as an error for me, try deleting that worksheet and start over from scratch with a fresh one.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
sjrcpa
Level 15

How can you verify the EIN at the state level? It's an IRS thing.

Locate the letter from the IRS that assigned the EIN.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Where did you find the EIN -- from a W-2?

Did you call the employer?  Might not be the first time they were asked.  Of course, by now they may be closed or out of business.  

Did your client work there in 2018? Did you check that W-2?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive never seen an EIN be invalid for Efiling....sounds like maybe its not an EIN.

BizSvc4u
Level 2

The client did not give me a W-4. We are preparing her 2018 return now and she only gave me an IRS Wage and Income Transcript. As you probably know, the IRS no longer provides the entire EIN on the Wage and Income Transcript, however, the last 4 digits that they do provide match the last 4 of the EIN I found on our state business registration site. 

My client did not work for this company in 2019 so I don't have that as an option either,

0 Cheers
BizSvc4u
Level 2

I've never seen an EIN invalid for e-file either, however the last 4 of the number I took from our state business registration site matches the last for provided on the Wage and Income Transcript.

0 Cheers
BizSvc4u
Level 2

I am aware that the EIN is issued by the IRS, however, it is required when a business renews its registration on our state's business registration site. Since the EIN is for a former employer of my client, there is no way to get the original IRS letter.

0 Cheers
BizSvc4u
Level 2

I have never seen an EIN be invalid for e-filing either. I know that it is an EIN because the last 4 digits match the last four provided by the IRS on the client's Wage and Income Transcript.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

whats the number? lets see if I get the same message.... or is it an  actual IRS rejection that says the EIN is bad?

0 Cheers
BizSvc4u
Level 2

The EIN is 65-0911601. It won't pass final review. I appreciate you testing it. Any other thoughts?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

It doesnt flag as an error for me, try deleting that worksheet and start over from scratch with a fresh one.

BizSvc4u
Level 2

I'm confused. I did delete the W-2 and re-enter it and it still gave me the error. This time I deleted and re-entered it did not. Thank you.

tony_king
Level 2

I had the same issue so I'm following your lead.  I hope it helps.  I only deleted the EIN, saved the return with  error and then reentered the EIN.  I'll know shortly if that works!  Thanks.

0 Cheers