Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lived in 2 states and had stock sales

parvitstax
Level 5

I lived in CA and moved to NV end of the year

How do I separate my stock sales? I have hundreds of transactions. 

Do I have to total up all sales made while I lived in CA and also while living in NV for the allocation sheet? Is there a more efficient way to report the allocation instead of counting hundreds of transactions?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

The only accurate way is to total the sales up by date of transaction; gains/losses while living in CA are CA source income/loss.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
abctax55
Level 15

The only accurate way is to total the sales up by date of transaction; gains/losses while living in CA are CA source income/loss.

( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

Some brokerages provide stock transactions as an excel spreadsheet.  

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
parvitstax
Level 5

Sounds like a long night ahead for me and my calculator

0 Cheers
DS3182
Level 2

"Moved to NV end of the year." 

That could be a problem right there. "You will be presumed to be a California resident for any taxable year in which you spend more than nine months in this state." FTB Publication 1031

If you are talking about small amounts of tax difference, determine whether you really want to risk fighting the FTB. Where in NV? Hopefully not Incline Village, which is part of CA according to the FTB. 

If you have loss carryforwards, be aware of the changes that came with AB 1115. 

Good luck!

0 Cheers
parvitstax
Level 5

It was only 8 months so safe to avoid the CA resident return.

Other than that, it seems like it is all based on when the stocks were sold. 

No CSV was given so I will have to count each and every transaction before the move (less sales before the move to NV)

0 Cheers