Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS refund of health insurance penalty adjustments

PATAX
Level 15

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but I just bumped into a client and she received IRS check apparently for the refund of the health insurance penalty adjustment... Looks like they are going out now...

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

12 Comments 12
BobKamman
Level 15

Did it include interest? Has anyone seen interest paid on "normal" refunds since the last report from a couple weeks ago?

PATAX
Level 15

@BobKamman I am not sure if it included interest.. I will try to find out... the client was my neighbor who I bumped into when mowing the lawn...

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I saw a few reports of interest on refunds in other groups. My clients arent generally that aware of the exact amount of their refund, so as long as its close, I probably wont hear from them.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

We had a client a week or so ago get the refund for the premium repayment and that one didn't include interest.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN @Just-Lisa-Now- @BobKamman return was e-filed approximately February 19th... She only was on the health insurance for two months before going on Medicare / supplement... She made too much money so I believe it was 100% penalty for approximately $900 total... she was quite surprised when she got the check ..... I give the IRS credit... I did not want to have to amend those returns... We have enough work to do....

PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN @Just-Lisa-Now- @BobKamman per client interest was included in check..

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I have a client who received his refund of the PTC. I dont think he cared about interest as it was a large amount for him (Almost 9k). 

TAXOH
Level 11

I have one with a "normal"(?) Refund that was efiled and accepted February 13th.  We did use 2019 income to calculate EIC and child tax credit.  She just received her refund on May 7th that included interest. 

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@TAXOH wrote:

I have one with a "normal"(?) Refund that was efiled and accepted February 13th.  We did use 2019 income to calculate EIC and child tax credit.  She just received her refund on May 7th that included interest. 

Good to know. I've had several with 2019's info being used. I only had one who reached out to inform me they had been waiting for refund after 6 or so weeks. 

TAXOH
Level 11

So do I and I think about 3 or 4 reached out to me.  She was happy to get hers when she did cause I told her it could be 6 months or longer.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@TAXOH wrote:

So do I and I think about 3 or 4 reached out to me.  She was happy to get hers when she did cause I told her it could be 6 months or longer.

smart move to tell them 6 mos or longer. I've been saying 2 or more mos. 

TAXOH
Level 11

I just called one of the other one of my clients that I knew had been waiting since mid February that we used the 2019 income for EIC and CTC.  She got her refund plus interest also last week.  Both of these were also filed with unemployment included and this was not adjusted for on the refunds either one of them received.