Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS Letter

PATAX
Level 15

Client received following letter from IRS (portion of the letter): "Our records show we received your amended Form 1065 for the tax period listed above. We're sorry but we can't find your amended Form 1065, so we need your help to finish processing return." "Please send us a newly signed copy of your amended return for each tax period listed below". An amended return was never filed. Original 2020 Form 1065 was paper filed. Letter appears legitimate, I.E. it is not a scam letter. This could be leftover issue from Covid processing issues. Anyone see this? Any thoughts? How would you proceed? Thanks.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Just be thankful they can't find an amended 1065 that doesn't exist.  Personally, I would just type up a quick note saying that the original was paper filed on approximately whatever date, and the client has not filed an amended return.  Please update your records accordingly.  

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
IRonMaN
Level 15

Just be thankful they can't find an amended 1065 that doesn't exist.  Personally, I would just type up a quick note saying that the original was paper filed on approximately whatever date, and the client has not filed an amended return.  Please update your records accordingly.  

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Has there been any correspondence from any of the partners to IRS?  Sometimes IRS considers a communication as an "informal claim," and therefore an amended return.  How many partners are there, and are you sure none of them contacted IRS directly?  Maybe about not understanding a K-1?

PATAX
Level 15

Bob, there are four partners, all family members. I am sure that none of them contacted IRS. The letter reminds me of letter that 990 client (that paper filed) received  about original 990 return that was paper filed right before efile mandate for 990 returns. They responded that original return was filed and provided proof of such and copy of return. This is one of reasons that all of my business returns will now be efiled (corporate and partnership). 

sjrcpa
Level 15

Today's mail brought me 2 letters from IRS requesting taxpayers' 2021 tax returns. One problem - they were efiled and accepted.

What next from IRS?

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Locusts and plague?

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Thanks for information Sue.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Passover is soon.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Ramadan has started

PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN I found letter for other client and same thing happened back in 2021 for an "amended" 2019 corporate income tax return. My response then was what you recommended. Thanks IronMan.