Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letter received letter from IRS where they indicate that my line 15 & 11 are identical to theirs. However, they claim ProSeries under calculated line 16 by $900.

chapguy19
Level 4
The client's tax return is very simple with just a W-2 and a child.
How do I determine whether either of us are correct.
Who do I believe and how do I appeal to the IRS?
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Is this a CP2000 notice for 2021?  If so, there should be more info than just that Line difference.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

There is usually more information on those letters.. did maybe the client have more than one W-2 and they only gave you one?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Back in the days pre-2018 I knew pretty much all the line numbers off the top of my head, not so much anymore....now I have to pull up a dang form to see what line is what.

So no capital gains on the return?  Just a W2?  Oh, I misread, they UNDERcalculated by $900, weird.   The withholdings are shown correctly, its just the tax is different?

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

1040 line 16 is tax on line 15. Is line 16 -1,2, or 3 checked ?

chapguy19
Level 4

Yes, the IRS had acknowledged that line 11 and line 15 are the same as I have.  Line 16 for the IRS is $900 higher than what ProSeries calculated.

This is 2021 tax return.

0 Cheers
chapguy19
Level 4

Line 16, l, 2, 3 are not checked.

0 Cheers
chapguy19
Level 4

More than one W-2 would generate different line 11 and 15.

The IRS's are the same as mine.

0 Cheers
chapguy19
Level 4

Yes, it is just line 16 that is different, which is above all the tax credits, etc.

0 Cheers
chapguy19
Level 4

No extra W-2.

Nothing different that line 16, Tax.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Income, filing status, dependents, tax, withholding.  what are the numbers you came up with, what are the numbers that IRS came up with?  A $900 difference suggests many things, but one could be $100 transcribed as $1,000, either on your end or IRS end.  Paper filed, or e-filed?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Is this a CP2000 notice for 2021?  If so, there should be more info than just that Line difference.

chapguy19
Level 4

Yes, there was more than met the eye.

The client should have reported her Advanced Child Tax Credit payments to the IRS, which were $900.

She filed MFS and, I suspect, the letter hit the household and she never saw it.

Interesting, the IRS claimed that line 16 was what needed to change, when, in fact, it was 23, Other Taxes.

Thank you all for your help.