Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect 1099-R

Summit1
Level 5

Taxpayer's Investment Manager requested (5) distributions in 2023 instead of (4). Taxpayer returned the last distribution that was received 12/31/23. Taxpayer was not provided with a Corrected 1099-R. 

The investment manager said he would not be given a corrected form and to show the total distribution in box 1 and reduce the taxable portion by the amount of the extra payment. I am assuming this will trigger a letter. Should there be an explanation attached to the return explaining the difference?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Just show the payment as being rolled over.  There is a box for that on the 1099R worksheet 

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
Camp1040
Level 10

TP needs a  corrected 1099-R and a new investment advisor. You can't alter the info on the 1099-R to suit the circumstances.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Just show the payment as being rolled over.  There is a box for that on the 1099R worksheet 

Slava Ukraini!
Summit1
Level 5

Slava

Thank you very much

Summit1
Level 5

IRonMan

Thank you!

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Taxpayer was not provided with a Corrected 1099-R."

The 1099-R is used for money Out. That's what happened. Not Net, but simply Out.

"Should there be an explanation attached to the return explaining the difference?"

That is Form 5498 (assuming this is some sort of IRA account). That's your due diligence. Get that form, confirm the redeposit is not treated as contribution and is for the right amount (gross), because there would have been withholding, most likely. And confirm the rollover was timely.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Summit1
Level 5

Taxpayer was told by his investment manager that 5498 would not be available until May. I will have taxpayer provide documentation of when he returned the funds.

Do I still use the 1099-R worksheet to adjust the payment out of the taxable box?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Taxpayer was told by his investment manager that 5498 would not be available until May."

That's because you have until the Filing Deadline to make a 2023 contribution. Get a copy of the account Statement, and there might be a deposit detail page, too.

"I will have taxpayer provide documentation of when he returned the funds."

Exactly.

"Do I still use the 1099-R worksheet to adjust the payment out of the taxable box?"

You mark the Rollover and enter the details. For instance:

Took 5 x $10,000 gross each time, got $8,000 net each time; only rolled over $8,000 = they forgot to make up the withholding to Gross Up the rollover.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers