Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NJ 1040 P2 boxes under Paid Preparer that says nothing but are pink

MonicaG
Level 4

Just curious if anyone else is showing an error under the Paid Preparer's Use Only at the bottom of the page of NJ 1040 page 2. There are two boxes that say absolutely nothing and I'm suppose to check one. The error states... Form New Jersey homeowner on Oct 1 boxes must be entered. The boxes have no information with them as to what you would be checking. I called customer support and I shared my screen and she said she thinks it's a glitch. I can override the error check as she suggested, however I it just doesn't make sense to me. 20240321_163517.jpg there. 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Intuit_TonyL

This issue has been corrected. Please make sure your program is up to date.

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@IntuitGabi this rode in on todays update, Ive seen people in the Facebook group asking about it too!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
MonicaG
Level 4

Thanks for letting me know. I asked if she could escalate the issue and she said she would. I figure I will wait and see if another update comes out in time to correct it. Thank you! 

0 Cheers
LisaPap
Level 3

I am having the same problem - I really don't want to just check a box randomly and have a problem later.  ProSeries/Intuit please escalate this problem and resolve it!!!  I have only had it happen with one return and spent way too much of my time comparing it to other returns to see if I could figure out why it is happening with this one - and also to figure out if I should randomly check the box on the right or the left, if I am to go in that direction.

0 Cheers
MonicaG
Level 4

Proseries isn't going to read our blog and fix it. When I called yesterday they picked up right away. She said I was the only one to report it. So if by chance you can call, you will make two people and maybe then they will see it as a problem. I'm currently waiting to file because I don't want to check a box and not have any idea what either box means. I just did an update and it was not fixed with that update. I was just told to remove the error check and put it through but I'm not comfortable with that unless I have no other choice but I'm not checking a box either. Please consider calling them. Thanks! I may call again beginning of next week. 

LisaPap
Level 3

Okay, thanks for letting me know that, I will call as well, not sure when - will try to do it soon.  Way behind this year, too many tech issues to deal with!

Intuit_TonyL

We are currently looking into this issue. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

KG1
Level 2

Thank you as it is preventing the accurate completion of NJ returns. Much appreciated 

0 Cheers
MonicaG
Level 4

Any idea where we are with the NJ page 2 with the empty error boxes? Hate to keep holding up this return but don't feel comfortable just sending it through. Has to do with the Homeowners credit at least that is what the error states. Just did an update and still no change. Any information would be great. Thanks!

LisaPap
Level 3

I now have 3 or 4 more returns with the same problem - I keep having to spend much time informing the client as to the holdup, why I'm concerned about e-filing their return until it is cleared up.  I was told by ProSeries to put it through (e-file it) by unchecking the error checking box during the process.  Not sure I like that, the error checking function is there for a reason.  In the end, I may pick a box and check it and see what happens. Would prefer to know for sure of course.  The error message leads me to believe it is in re: to homeowner status, and TBH, I never figured out how NJ uses that info from the return - I think it is a holdover from something on NJ return from years ago.  Just a guess and I hope I'm right that it won't matter if I just choose the left or right box as yes or no to home ownership.

0 Cheers
MonicaG
Level 4

I personally don't want to just send it through either. It is regarding the homestead benefit. The 2022 Property tax information smart worksheet had a question D. You were a NJ homeowner on Oct. 1, 2022 and you are eligible and file for a Homestead Benefit. 

This year that question is no there on the smart worksheet however that's the question on the error. so if worse comes to worse and they do not fix it. Yes is on the right and no is on the left. Depending on your situation that would be the box you would choose if you decide to do so. I think they either left the question off by accident on the smart worksheet or they never internal deleted the need for the question. The Homestead benefit is still available for the 2023 tax year so I'm not sure why they won't still have that question listed. Last year it was not a required answer. 

I do not like the idea of telling us to just put it through when them themselves are not sure if the question should be asked or not. 

It's like driving around a care with the check engine light on and not knowing what the problem is but being told to keep driving it. I'm still holding out hoping they rectify this. If I get a chance I'm going to call again today. 

0 Cheers
Intuit_TonyL

Updates for this week should be out tomorrow. This should be corrected with that update.

Thanks

MonicaG
Level 4

Yay thank you!!!!

0 Cheers
Intuit_TonyL

This issue has been corrected. Please make sure your program is up to date.