Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I claim taxes paid to WI in Sch. CR, IL-1040

CPA17
Level 2

Dear All!

I am having difficulties calculating "taxes paid to other states" while preparing IL-1040 for year 2020. Taxpayer has multiple K-1s from IL, WI and NJ (s corporations and partnerships). IL-1040 sch. CR automatically takes into consideration taxes paid to NJ, but not for the WI. I know WI is a reciprocal state for WI, but reciprocal agreement is only for Wages, etc. not for the business income. Due to s corporation income, taxpayer is paying taxes to WI (filing non-resident in WI). But IL-1040 doesn't consider these taxes paid to other state in Sch. CR.

Question is, how do I get this credit flow into Sch. CR? or,

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Are you preparing the non resident return first, then the resident return?

I know years ago we had to do it that way and I always have since, not sure if it still works the same though.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
CPA17
Level 2

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the reply. I did follow that way, but seems like WI is a reciprocal state, pro-series doesn't consider WI taxes paid!

0 Cheers
CPA17
Level 2

Hi All,

I think I found one manual solution. I have to manually input WI state income and tax paid into Sch. CR. 

Please let me know if there is other way to do this where you don't have to manually input the tax credit.