Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8915-E Not Transferring to 2021 ProSeries

michelleloper
Level 2

I was recently reviewing our PS program on a client who we elected the Covid relief on Form 1099-R with the three year taxable spread.  I do not see where this election is flowing over to the current year 2021 tax program.  Is anyone else having this problem? Are we going to have to manually enter these or was there a glitch in the program when transferring? 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

that form wont be ready for Efiling until the end of February, so it may not be fully functioning until closer to that date.  I wouldn't transfer any of those clients into 2021 yet.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

18 Comments 18
IRonMaN
Level 15

2021 is still in its infancy.  Give it a little more time to see if it sprouts some 2021 arms and legs.  Right now the program is pretty much the 2020 program that is working out to be a 2021 program.

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

As a side note, you really shouldn't transfer this early.  If they do update the program, you may have shot yourself in the foot if they do add that touch to the program.  Personally, I would delete what you have already transferred and wait a bit longer before you roll those files over.

Slava Ukraini!
michelleloper
Level 2

Thanks.  We did only transfer some just to see what things were looking like in the program.  I had a feeling some items were not going to be there.  I had my fingers crossed that things would be better than last year, but oh well.  Will just have to make note of some of these and not prepare them until the forms become available for an update.

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

that form wont be ready for Efiling until the end of February, so it may not be fully functioning until closer to that date.  I wouldn't transfer any of those clients into 2021 yet.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Khang
Level 1

It's passed mid-February, but the software still does not transfer to coronavirus 401K... distribution from 2020 to 2021.  Anyone knows the solution to this?  Why hasn't proseries post any answer to this question?

Thanks

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yes - wait until the form is ready in late March.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers

I called.  Didn't get the form but got a date with Jenny.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"Why hasn't proseries post any answer to this question?"

They sort of, have answered it. And there are a bajillion topics here on:

Form 8915-F

Until you see it in the program, you cannot efil that return.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
clhunt
Level 3

So the 8815-E is not ready. But why is there not an alert to us that we have an outstanding issue?  I almost filed a return tonight before I happened to remember this client had done the Covid relief three year spread. Nothing; no reminder, no warning nothing.  I count on ProSeries for this kind of carryover information.  This is not acceptable.  Why is this not in the first release, let alone the mid February releases?  This was a known need for 2021 returns.  There should be an alert..  A reminder, a big red flag!  

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Nothing; no reminder, no warning nothing"

But that's why folks pay you the big bucks to properly document those things.  The software should be looked at as a crutch in helping you prepare returns.  It shouldn't be viewed as life support.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"So the 8815-E is not ready"

It's Form 8915-F. New. The IRS just released it, and it isn't through to your program update.

For Disaster years 2020 and later, for Tax years 2021 and later, F = Forever form.

Form 8915-E is only used for Disaster year 2020 and Tax year 2020.

"Why is this not in the first release, let alone the mid February releases?"

You can watch the Forms release dates, as we all would.

0 Cheers
clhunt
Level 3

But I pay PS a hell of a lot more for correct and complete software.  If they can carryover the $2 NOL for years this should be a no brainer.  The First Time Homebuyer credit carried over for years.  The Energy credit carries over for lifetimes. Sorry, but I disagree,  I am saying a flag would have been appreciated.  Maybe they have spoiled us, but isn't that part of the perks of using the same software for twenty years? 

0 Cheers
clhunt
Level 3

My post is not about the form not being ready - my post is about expecting PS to have an alert.  Yes I watch for forms release. Yes, I document. Yes, I have been doing this for years.. Yes, I am looking  the last year's carryovers.   But there is nothing in the software to alert us to a potential issue.  Even in the IRA information area.  I feel this is an issue that PS needs to be aware of and the only way to make the programmers aware is to tell them.  Maybe I am over hopeful that PS actually reads these comments. And maybe I was asking if someone had seen something I had missed.  I truly feel we are in this together and never expected the negative attitudes towards someone trying to help us all.  

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I feel this is an issue that PS needs to be aware of"

Submit it to the Ideas Exchange:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-idea-exchange/idb-p/603

"and the only way to make the programmers aware is to tell them"

Then it gets voted on, and given a status.

"Maybe I am over hopeful that PS actually reads these comments."

Not these, so much. Ideas Exchange, sure.

Otherwise, you are complaining to peer users, who have been watching this condition since the year started. There are a bajillion such topics on this forum.

0 Cheers
clhunt
Level 3

qbteachmt - Thank You!  I was not aware of this option.   Years ago, when I had an issue PS did reply. so I was assuming this was monitored. 

I will let them know on the site you just sent and see if they consider it important for next year. 

0 Cheers
PGiselaR
Level 2

Although it says: "Solved! Go to solution". I did not find the solution by reading all the comments. Anyhow, this is what I did:

From top menu I clicked on "Where do I enter?" I typed in: "Qualified Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions". I was given the option to click in: "Form 8915-E Wks". Once in this page, I scrolled down to line 12 and entered the amount as indicated. After this, PS did its job.

Don't blame the software when the government is not even ready. Give them a break.

Paula Gisela

qbteachmt
Level 15

The Solution is the answer in the Box.

0 Cheers