Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 7203

Dorota
Level 1

Hello, 

Just wanted to confirm if form 7203( shareholders basis),on individual return, will be part of the return in 2022 Proseries or do we have to attach it as a PDF to the return?

Thank you

0 Cheers
18 Comments 18
IRonMaN
Level 15

When you review the return I believe you get a friendly reminder that it needs to be attached as a pdf.

Slava Ukraini!
josephfolsomcpa
Level 4

Is this a Proseries thing about still having to manually attach a .pdf version of form 7203 or is the IRS still not able to have that form be efiled like other forms?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm guessing the IRS, but does it matter?  Either way we are forced to do it.

Slava Ukraini!
frank1
Level 3

My guess is that if it were an IRS issue, then the Proseries message would so indicate.  My money says that this is a Proseries issue that has no priority with the software folks.  Sadly, a lot of these issues only get fixed after a lot of "prompting".  So, software folks, when will this be fixed?  It is a pain in the butt at a time of year when we do not need such things.

josephfolsomcpa
Level 4

If this is an Intuit Proseries issue and the IRS CAN accept a 7203 like all the other forms, then Intuit needs to fix this.  We pay a large amount of money for this tax software and something that is common as form 7203 should not require additional work to e-file.  Now, if this is still and IRS issue, then there really isn't anything that can be done at this time.

0 Cheers
IntuitLisaI
Level 3

Hello, according to the forms availability list, a form 7203 is both available to print and to e-file. Are you getting an error or prompt not allowing for e-file? If so, please add a screen shot to the thread so I can look into it? Thanks! 

0 Cheers
josephfolsomcpa
Level 4

Form 7203 must be attached as a .pdf meaning that it is not efiled like the rest of the tax return. You have to do additional steps.  First you have to print the form 7203 as a .pdf, save it to your harddrive, then attached that .pdf to the tax return before efiling it.  The form 7203 goes with the efiled tax return as an attachment.

0 Cheers
frank1
Level 3

It's a diagnostic: Form 7203 S-corp stock and debt basis limitations cannot be electronically filed.  Form 7203 is present in this return.  This return may be printed and filed by mail..............or attach pdf and e-file".  We haven't tried efiling without a pdf attachment because we trusted the diagnostic.

So, is the diagnostic correct, or is it outdated?

0 Cheers
IntuitLisaI
Level 3

I'm looking into this and if I receive any insight I will report back. Thanks for the info! 

0 Cheers
jmoller
Level 2

I have a 1040 I am preparing that gave me the diagnostic for the Form 7203.  I am also preparing another return that has a form 7203 but I do not get the error.  So is the Form attaching automatically or not.  When I looked for supported forms, it shows that 7203 is ready to efile??

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You need to attach it if it is needed.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
frank1
Level 3

Any update from 2 weeks ago, IntuitLisa?

Suzzels
Level 2

Is there any update on this?  Thank you

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Sounds like she didn't gain any insight on the issue. 😞

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Intuit is responsible for many things but not for the manual process of having to attach F.7203 as a PDF.

Uncle Sam is the big guy you want to go after, if that's what you want to do.  The form is simply not in the IRS MeF Schema for 2022 - that's public information you can verify at:

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/tax-year-2022-modernized-e-file-schemas-and-business-rules-for-...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Without checking into it, that is what I thought as mentioned previously, but you would think a moderator would have had enough resources available to come back and confirm that by now.

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

Luckily, wishing is free.  Otherwise, Intuit would have made me really broke. 🤣

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Intuitjhaze
Intuit Alumni

Appreciate you both @itonewbie @IRonMaN for keeping the community informed! Form 7203 does indeed need to be attached as a pdf. Here's a help article with more detailed info for those that need it.

0 Cheers