Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ohio does not calculate exemptions correctly according to the State's instructions verified by a call to the Ohio State Department of Taxation.

1040Help
Level 2

My clients were recently married and filed a joint return.  The taxpayer was NOT claimed as a dependent on his parent's return.  The wife, however, was legally claimed on her parent's return.  According to Ohio's official instructions, the Ohio exemption should be 1.  The taxpayer can claim an exemption, but the wife cannot.  Called Intuit; was told to override and complete the form accurately, then bypass the error review in order to e-file.  The return was rejected, as I expected.  The explanation from Intuit was that when EITHER the taxpayer or spouse is claimed as a dependent on another return, the Ohio exemption should be zero.  That is not correct.  Intuit programming has misinterpreted the instructions, which I verified with the Ohio Department of Taxation. I ended up paper filing because I did not know who else to contact to remedy this situation.

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
dkh
Level 15

@1040Help wrote:

Called Intuit; was told to override and complete the form accurately, then bypass the error review in order to e-file.  

I've seen other posts where support tells them to override as the answer ..... I find this so unacceptable.  Correct the d@mn program. 

1040Help
Level 2

I agree.  It's as if they don't care that the program does not work.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Not "as if"

They don't.

Ex-AllStar