Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files missing data after efile

mctax
Level 2

I completed client files, efiled, show accepted.  However, when I open the file the work I did is now gone.  A few of them showed the wrong amounts accepted for Federal filing.  

Update: Other files after saving and closing, go back to efile, open and the work is gone.  So it is not just happening to the efiled ones. 

Side note, have been a user of this software for 10 years, this is the first year I have experienced problems.  

Talked with tech support, tried a few remedies, nothing worked.  All my work is gone. 

Is anyone experiencing this problem?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

19 Comments 19
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Is anyone experiencing this problem?"

If they did, I'm sure they are all heading to their office rooftops, getting ready to jump off.  

Are the files from recent transmissions or do they go back to day one?

Slava Ukraini!
RandyAZ
Level 3

Had that happen yesterday, but with PS I "ALWAYS" backup ALL data files to another hard drive prior to efiling.

mctax
Level 2

That did not help.  I have used this software for 10 years now, never had this happen.

But thank you. 

Within a few minutes after filing and closing this happened.  😞

Appreciate your time. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@mctax  are you on a network?    I feel like Ive seen a similar complaint in the past but it was on a network version and I know nothing about networks so I didn't follow the conversation.

or could your anti virus be interfering in some way?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
mctax
Level 2

Tired of being asked the same questions.  

Verified data, saved, go back in and it is not the same.  Including client bank accounts.  It is like it is getting written over to old data.  And only certain files.  Not all files are like that.  

Tried discussing with support, they have no answers.  

Back up is done, saved as pdf, and the original file is changed.  This is continuous.  

We have various safeguards in place. 

Keep hoping Intuit gets the message this is an issue this year.  Next will check files after back up is done.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@IntuitAustin   I thought i saw another one of these that I tagged you in last week...its like the Save option isnt saving things.

0 Cheers
mctax
Level 2

Review of files show it has been happening periodically since the beginning of this year.  But we did not discover it until a client asked for a follow up on his return.  Back ups were scheduled, but did not work properly.  

This continues to occur, but the files are random.

Review of security such as antivirus, firewall, etc.  

Still it is as if the files are being written over with old data.  We have also had a software crash, had to reinstall and rebuild files.  😞 

As stated a few minutes ago will do a check after software is updated.  But doubt that is an issue.

0 Cheers
mctax
Level 2

Missed that one.  Will look for it.  And yes, we also do double save.  

Getting frustrating. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I had a few either last week or the week before that I know I saved on exit, but when I opened them back up to actually Efile them, the last few entries were missing (direct dep check boxes were no longer checked)....I thought I was losing my mind...I havent noticed it happen lately though.

IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni

Hey team, 

Support wasn't able to replicate this issue but we're keeping an eye on it.. Lisa, tag me in any more of these you see if you can 🙂 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
MoranReed
Level 1

Similar issues here.  Completing returns, and everything is saved; however, client files are randomly deleted from the database.  It is very concerning especially when we are trying to file extensions based off of last years client lists.  This is the first year we have experienced this issue.

0 Cheers
tonyc
Level 1

Proseries network user for over 20 years.  A client file disappeared on server for unknown reason in March.  It happened again just 2 hours ago,  client file gone right after efile return being submitted.   It never happened in prior years.

edward4242
Level 2

just had a second one happen to me too.  luckily it was backed up in reviewed status from the night before, but this is very concerning.

Update:  I found this other article about a problem when saving that could be caused by the Antivirus: https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/file-actions/help/error-opening-client-cannot-locate-file-wo...

I did find it as a temp file in my directory, but it does not have the latest update indicating the e-file was successful like what shows in homebase where is shows EF Accepted.  The status in the temp one shows the status of "Review Done".  It does not show the e-file info.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"Lisa, tag me in any more of these you see if you can"

@IntuitAustin 

theres a new post at the bottom of the thread.

LARRYLIFE
Level 2

I have multiple data files that just disappeared but when I checked dropbox they weren't actually written. No problem with PDF files.  There is supposed to be a data file written each time a pdf was created this didn't happen.  I believe the files were written in some holding area not written to our computer area.  What exists is the beginning version of this clients file.  ProSeries you have a problem!

0 Cheers
hsahsuvar
Level 1

I had the same issue. I have a returning client. I was trying to transfer his 2019 data to 2020. It is not there. I opened up 2019 software to verify if I am wrong. It is deleted. Temp files are in the data folder but the actual data file is not there. It is scary. 

0 Cheers
smiller12
Level 1

Same thing has been happening with me and I don't know what to do about it. I have done everything everyone has suggested and nothing helps. I'm thinking next step is to un-install and re-install the program?

0 Cheers
datafocustax
Level 3

We just had a similar incident occur where the client's State data went missing in the middle of efiling - the federal return efiled successfully, but we rec'd an error on the State that the data was missing when we know it was def input. Now the entire client file will not open. It claims no one has Administrator permission when we try opening only on Administrator accounts and use the Run As Administrator option with the program. The Home Base Maintenance does not recognize that it has disappeared, as well. It's as if it's locked, but the error says it doesn't exist. 

0 Cheers
Natural1976
Level 1

I have the same issue of files disappearing. Proseries IT looked everywhere on my internal and external hard drives, then proceeded to tell me it was my fault.  Has Proseries fixed this problem?   Please help!

0 Cheers