Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electronic Withdrawal of Estimated Tax Payments on an Amended Return

MikeB_CPA
Level 5

I e-filed a 2022 amended federal return for a client in mid-April, 2023, to declare additional investment income that had been overlooked on the original return.  On the original return, the client also chose to have his 2023 estimated tax payments electronically withdrawn, so the boxes for each payment were checked in Part III of 1040-ES.  Today my client informed me that both the first and second quarter 2023 estimated tax payments were withdrawn twice; same exact amounts on the same exact dates. 

It is just a guess on my part, but the only thing I can think that might have caused this to happen was that on the amended return I never unchecked any of the boxes in Part III of 1040-ES pertaining to the electronic payment of estimated tax.  Since none of the information on the 1040-ES was being changed in the amended return, it never dawned on me that such a change would be necessary.  I never even knew such a change was possible to accomplish with an amended return.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Should I have unchecked the authorization for electronic payment of estimated taxes on the amended return, or was this a mistake made by IRS?  This is just my latest headache with amended returns. 😅

Many thanks for any input.

Mike

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I was afraid of that, Ive been unchecking those ES withdrawal boxes when transmitting amended returns.   Just in case it was sending that info again with the amended return. 

I uncheck all the Electronic payment boxes with amended returns, I just dont trust the program, doesnt have enough communication or verification processes to show me whats actually going to happen, I make any amended return payments directly on the tax agency websites.

I hope it didnt put your client in a bad situation with their bank account, and maybe now you can call and cancel the 3rd and 4th ES payments, they should be all paid up?   The number to cancel the payments is right on the Form 8879.  Have the bank account info on hand when you call.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I was afraid of that, Ive been unchecking those ES withdrawal boxes when transmitting amended returns.   Just in case it was sending that info again with the amended return. 

I uncheck all the Electronic payment boxes with amended returns, I just dont trust the program, doesnt have enough communication or verification processes to show me whats actually going to happen, I make any amended return payments directly on the tax agency websites.

I hope it didnt put your client in a bad situation with their bank account, and maybe now you can call and cancel the 3rd and 4th ES payments, they should be all paid up?   The number to cancel the payments is right on the Form 8879.  Have the bank account info on hand when you call.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
MikeB_CPA
Level 5

Thanks so much. Going forward I will uncheck all boxes authorizing electronic payments. Fortunately, my client had funds available to cover the duplicate withdrawals.

I thought e-filing amended returns would make the process easier, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Thanks for the information on cancelling quarters 3 and 4 payments. The number for cancelling electronic payments is also on the 9325.

I think the whole amended return process in ProSeries needs a revamp to improve clarity, but I don't think I will ever see it. It is way too confusing. 

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.