Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electronic filing error message

Susan4
Level 2

I'm a sole proprietor and use my SSN as my employer ID number. I want to file my own return (MFJ). I marked the return as Self-prepared in Section V of the info worksheet.  How do I fix this error:  Paid Preparer Information: Employer ID number is invalid for Electronic filing.  Employer identification number cannot be the same as the spouse's social security number.  You must enter a valid Employer Identification Number.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

So in your ERO information, under Employer ID# (EIN), you entered your SSN?    If you are an Employer, you need an EIN.

Can you leave that box empty, since you dont have an EIN?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Susan4
Level 2

Interesting...I don't have any employees, so don't need a separate EIN.  I deleted it and the error went away.  

Simple solution.  Thanks, Lisa.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Consider getting an EIN. Do you really want your SSN on all of your client's tax returns?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
JAC417
Level 1

Where did you delete it. I tried but the error does not go away. I also put, non paid preparer etc etc.

Thank you

0 Cheers