Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Jersey Health Insurance Coverage Exemptions

caj111
Level 4

On the New Jersey personal tax form NJ-HCC, I have clients who had coverage for the first six months of the year, then couldn't afford it anymore, as it was un-affordable, costing more than 8.05% of their income.  I tried entering "A-1" on the exemption code for the coverage being considered un-affordable and nothing happened, the penalty for not having health insurance won't go away.  I tried entering other codes, just to see what would happen, i.e. religious exemption code but nothing changed.  Any idea how to make this penalty by entering exemption?

Thanks in advance.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
justwanttoknow
Level 2

First, it is my understanding that you have to 'apply' for approval.  I applied for several clients and received an exemption number.  I was told by the state that was what was to be entered in the exemption code box. 

Second, when I did that, I found that I had to check off the monthly boxes till I got the answer I wanted.  My question is, what happens if you do not get an exemption number and just check off the boxes with the state code A-1.

My question is that in order to be unaffordable you have to have a written quote from healthcare.gov  that includes the premium tax credit.  My client did not get that so where do I find the cost of the lowest cost monthly bronze plan.

Have a couple of clients tied up with this dilemma.  Hopefully this helps a little.

0 Cheers
caj111
Level 4

Thank you this is helpful.  The software gives you no guidance whatsoever on this but then again, they can't be expected to get every little state issue, I'd be more surprised if this was a federal item.  I went through the motions on New Jersey's own website, and was given an 11-digit (or some number of digits) exemption number which I entered onto the form for each person.  I also got a PDF of the quote for the monthly premium for my clients from healthcare.gov.  Hopefully all will go according to plan.

0 Cheers