Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EFILING S CORPORATION RETURNS

mdaddycpa82
Level 3

Is anyone else getting this error message when attempting to e file an s corporation for which you extended and have confirmation of acceptance through pro series?

"RETURN IS SELECTED. PLEASE COMPLETE THE EXTENSION FOR THE RETURN FIRST. IF THE EXTENSION HAS BEEN COMPLETED, OPEN THE RETURN NAVIGATE TO STATE/CITY AND SAVE THE RETURN"

I have followed said instructions with no success, again the extension has been completed and accepted and it's only happening with S corps not Partnership returns. Not just one client either, right now all of my s corps 

0 Cheers
17 Comments 17

Good morning. We're sorry to hear this. Are you still experiencing this issue? 

0 Cheers
mdaddycpa82
Level 3

Yes, I am still experiencing this issue.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I got to play that fun little game on a few of my returns when I was filing extensions.  The word "frustrating" comes to mind.

Slava Ukraini!
mdaddycpa82
Level 3

What was your solution? I'm thinking I am going to "uncheck" the extension as if it never happened and bank on the fact I will have proof of acceptance of the extension, just so I can get these **bleep** returns filed!

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Two of them were for 1041s that I had already completed the returns but was waiting for 8879s.  I just filed the actual returns - CAGMC.  One was for a kid's 1040 that was already done and waiting for the 8879.  I just skipped filing the extension since there was a refund coming.

But I did have the issue filing a sub S return back in March that had been extended.  I screwed around with it for quite awhile.  If I remember right, I think I went to the EF homebase and updated acknowledgements on the return to get it to fly ---------- but I tried so many things, I'm not positive that was the trick that did it for me. 

Slava Ukraini!
mdaddycpa82
Level 3

Ha! Your suggestion on the EF Homebase was the solution! It worked!

Thanks for taking the time to look into it, much appreciated!

IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm glad you got it figured out.  I thought that was how I dug myself out of the mud, but that seemed so long ago my memory was a little fuzzy 😀

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Gregory Gandrud
Level 3

I am having this issue with California returns where an extension was previously filed with payment. Please help!

0 Cheers
mdaddycpa82
Level 3

The suggestion that was given to me in the string of messages, about selecting the specific return and doing the "update acknowledgement" worked for my issues, maybe it will with yours?

0 Cheers
Gregory Gandrud
Level 3

No, that non-solution does not work at all. Unless I uncheck the CA extension and pretend that it was never filed with payment and instead put the payment on the tax payments section of the federal return, the CA return can't be e-filed. I have several CA returns that need to be e-filed right now and I think it is ProSeries that needs to get off their butt not me that needs to do work-arounds. Is anyone at ProSeries paying any attention?

0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

RE: Thanks for taking the time to look into it, much appreciated!

@IRonMaN didn't really look into it.  But, of course you should still show your appreciation for him to take the time to remember it.  You could also show your appreciation by crowning his post as the "solution".  It would do squat but it may make him happy enough to us a joke.  He has been jokeless.  Perhaps positively influenced by @sjrcpa.

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

At our age, remembering something would take much long time than looking into it....

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

much longer....

sjrcpa
Level 15

I never told Jeff to kill the jokes.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

All you have to do is ask

A Norwegian, a Swede and a Dane made a bet about who could stay the longest in a stinky pig barn. They all went in at the same time. After only two minutes the Dane came running out. Five minutes later the Swede stumbled out the door. After ten minutes, all the pigs ran out.

Ole wore both of his winter jackets when he painted his house last July. The directions on the can said "put on two coats"

Ole, Lena, and little Ole went to the big City for the first time. They were walking down the street and looking in the windows of the big buildings. Little Ole spotted something that caught his eye and ran into a building. Big Ole and Lena  followed him.
There they all stood in front of a shiny metal door that was cut into a wall of black marble. A chubby, elderly, gray haired lady walked up and pushed a button on the wall next to the door. The door opened and she walked into the little room behind the shiny door. The door closed and the numbers above the door counted up and then down again. The shiny doors opened and a beautiful, curvacious young lady walked out.
Little Ole said, "What kind of machine is dat, Pa?"
Big Ole replied, "I don't know little Ole, but push dat button and shove your Ma in der."

Ole and Lena visit New York City. Caught in traffic on East 46th, a homeless person starts washing the windshield. Ole rolls down the window.
"Eh how's it going?" the homeless guy says.
"Ohhh it's OK. Ole says.
"Hey where are you folks from?"
"Ohh ve're from Minnesota."
"Ohhh Minnesota, I've been there. I met the ugliest woman I ever saw in Minnesota!"
Lena asks "Vat's he saying Ole?"
"Ohhh he says he knows you Lena."

Slava Ukraini!
DLC2020
Level 2

I received this same message today mentioned in this chain.  'Return is selected.  Please complete the extension for the return first. If the extension has been completed, open the return navigate to State/City and save the return.'

I did what you suggested and went into EF Homebase and under E-File, hit 'Electronic Filing' then hit 'Update Acknowledgement Status of Selected Returns, Extensions...'

It worked like a charm!

Thanks so much.

ML808
Level 1

OMG - this happens to me.  I did what's suggested - EF Center, E-File, Update Acknowledgment, then try to Convert & Transmit - the message keep showing up!!!

0 Cheers