Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEPENDENT PARENT REJECT

FREDW21901
Level 3

IRS is rejecting parents who lived with tp but filed joint return only to claim refund which should be acceptable per IRS instructions. Rejecting with Error IND-512-01

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Glad you got it resolved, but I hope you will file an amended 2018 with both parents as dependents

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

who ever filed the MFJ return probably forgot to mark box that they were claimed as a dependent on someone else's return. If that is the case you will have to file a amended return for the MFJ, and mail in your clients return. You also referred to them as parents, did they also claim the CTC no can do

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

If the parents return was rejected just mark they were dependents of someone else and file it again

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
FREDW21901
Level 3

I filed the parents joint return timely last year and marked boxes indicating that they can be and are being claimed as dependents. They only had social security income but wanted to file just for the record.

It is now that we are trying to file the daughters tax return claiming them as dependents but efile rejects because ss numbers indicate parents filed joint return but apparently not recognizing the "can be claimed" markings.

Hoping there is some place on daughter's return that I can indicate that parents did not claim themselves.

Trying to avoid filing manually since daughter has large refund due. 

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Not sure I am understanding, let me recap your situation, 

You filed parents 2019 return marking box they were being claimed on another return. They had no taxable income, so no refund, and they were accepted.

You filed Daughters 2019 return claiming parents as dependents, and her return was rejected code IND-512-01.

If this is what happened, you will not be able to efile parents return again as they have already been accepted.

You will have to mail in daughters return, because you cannot resolve the error.

You said you filed parents return last year meaning 2018. if you did not file parents 2019 return, then I believe the parents are a victim of ID theft

Just to be sure I would recheck very carefully everyone's SS numbers, and if they are correct I don't believe you will be able to efile daughter's return

0 Cheers
FREDW21901
Level 3

Thanks Terry.  You understood correctly with couple of corrections on my part and subsequent results.

Both parents tax return and daughter's were for 2018. Parents was filed last year and accepted but daughter trying to file 2018 now because it was being rejected last year since she tried after parents filed.

I tried several fixes on daughter's 2018 return but it kept rejecting but amazingly got accepted after I removed the mother from daughter's return and filed her as head of household with only the father shown as dependent. Reduced refund but got it through since her refund was significant anyway and did not want to delay for manual filing and eligibility for Corona tax relief refunds.

It's also interesting that the problem did not occur in her  2016 and 2017 tax returns which were accepted with both parents and as HOH.  Same SS numbers were used in all 3 years for all three persons.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Glad you got it resolved, but I hope you will file an amended 2018 with both parents as dependents

FREDW21901
Level 3

Will consider manual amended filing after e-filed return completely processed and refund received.

Thanks.

0 Cheers