Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rejection code IND-517-01. I've filed the parents and the dependent child returns. Child is being claimed on parents return. Not sure why parents return is rejected.

chris2lane
Level 2
I filed the parents return with the dependent child. I also filed the child's return and listed her as being claimed by the parents. However, the parents return has been rejected saying the child has already filed. I reached out to the parents and they said the child has NOT filed their return. Any insights other than paper filing the parents.
0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

Someone else filed a return using the child's SSN. Accidentally or on purpose.

Ex-AllStar
chris2lane
Level 2

I filed the child's return and hit the correct boxes that the child is being claimed by the parents. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Then someone else has filed a return in that child's SSN.   You'll be filing the parents by paper.

If the child is a teenager, he may have used a phone app "just to see what his refund would be" and ended up filing it himself.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

I never file a dependents return before I file the parents.  I am always afraid, despite double checking, that I hit a wrong box somewhere.  I would much rather deal with an issue with the dependents than with the parents.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I flubbed it up one time, now Im paranoid as well, always file the parents first too, then I know Im not the one that  screwed up!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪