Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

child tax credit

vlbrwn
Level 1

Ex father of daughter took daughter as a dependent on 2020 tax return and received the $1,500 advance child tax credit.  For 2021 mother is taking the daughter as a dependent along with her son.  She received the $1,500 advance tax credit for him.  For the tax Form 8812 Pro Series she is receiving a $3,000 tax credit for the daughter.  How do I show that she should only receive tax credit for her daughter?  

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
qbteachmt
Level 15

The daughter's father (not ex-father) got the projection as a prepayment, based on whatever recent tax filing the IRS had, which was 2020. The mother also got any prepayment based on projections.

Everyone is now reconciling what they are entitled to for Actuals for 2021 against any prepayment the person specifically got.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
athaureaux6
Level 8

I believe that she will receive the whole credit, 3000 or 3600 if the child is younger than 6 but what happens is that the father will have to repay the 1500 advance credit he received for the child unless he qualifies for repayment protection under the new law. The Congress forced to IRS to come up with a solution to avoid double dipping in certain credits and this is one example of that. If he made certain amount, I do not remember how much, he will have to repay the whole, or part of the 1500 he received in advance. Any body correct me if I am wrong please. Have a nice day everybody. 

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

For 2021 mother is taking the daughter as a dependent along with her son.  

How do I show that she should only receive tax credit for her daughter?  

Why would she only receive tax credit for the daughter if she is claiming daughter and son?

0 Cheers