Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child tax credit

Sjracz
Level 1

My daughter's father was incarcerated for 8 months of 2023 and did NOT provide even half of her support for that year. He filed taxes and claimed the CTC which I was unaware of until I tried to claim it. Is this legal?

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You seem to be on the wrong website.  This website is for tax professionals.  If you are using TurboTax or some other do-it-yourself method, please visit the TurboTax Help site for support or schedule an appointment with a tax professional in your area.

qbteachmt
Level 15

Are you using ProSeries?

You’ve come to a Peer User community for Intuit Income Tax Preparation products supporting tax preparation professionals using ProSeries, Proconnect and Lacerte Tax Preparation programs, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer using TurboTax. Please visit the TurboTax Help (click that link) site for support.

And try this screen, for the various topics (subforums): https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/discussions/discussion/03/302

Your sign in user info here is the same one you can use over at the TurboTax forum.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
IRonMaN
Level 15

Claiming a dependent for which he obviously wasn't entitled is probably a good indication of his moral fiber and why he was incarcerated to begin with.  You can still paper file your return claiming your daughter and then deal with the a letter from the IRS down the road asking who is really entitled to claim her.  For the record, the parent for which the kid stayed more than half the nights in a year wins.  If dear old dad spent 8 months in prison, I think it is going to be pretty tough for him to prove he had custody for more than half of the year.

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

what about leap year? 366/2 = 183

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Then cut the kid in half.

How often do you really see parents that have the number of nights split perfectly even in a leap year?

Slava Ukraini!