Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child Tax Credit

Randy Haynes
Level 4

My first CTC return of the season. MFJ client has 3 children ages 8 to 14. AGI is 116,991, so it seems that they should be eligible for $9,000 CTC minus the $4,500 Advance CTC payments already received. I have completed form 8812 showing the 3 children, and Line 12 shows $9,000. Line  , but nothing is flowing to Form 1040 Line 19.  On 1040, Line 19 is blank and Line 28 shows $4,500. This makes the total CTC $4,500 instead of $9,000. What am I missing?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
athaureaux6
Level 8

I think it is like that. The Additional Child Tax credit goes to the additional CTC line. The ACTC is the background in the worksheet. Do not worry. 

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
athaureaux6
Level 8

I think it is like that. The Additional Child Tax credit goes to the additional CTC line. The ACTC is the background in the worksheet. Do not worry. 

0 Cheers
Randy Haynes
Level 4

Thank you. My client asked me to show him the $9,000 credit on the 1040 and was not happy that it does not show up in black and white. I have satisfied him by referring him to the 8812.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Why would the client expect the $9000 CTC if they've already received $4500 advance. 

0 Cheers
Randy Haynes
Level 4

They simply wanted to see that they were able to take the entire $9,000 credit. They knew that they had already received half of it, but they wanted to see that the other half was applied to their account.

dkh
Level 15

Ahhhhhh got it.   Thanks for satisfying my Monday morning curiosity.  😁

0 Cheers