Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child Tax Credit Rejection

WayneB
Level 1

Client is married filing joint with two kids, 15 and 19 (full time student).  No errors and I e-file.  IRS rejects. Efiling log Error Detail says "Each dependent in the Dependent Detail on the return with Eligible for Child Tax Credit checked must be under the age of 17.  You may be eligible to claim the Credit for other Dependents if you meet the requirements."  Error Resolution says check name, ssn, birth date, relationship.  All are correct. I believe messaging on the reject mentioned an income limit of $4300 but upon a little research, that is the cap for Other Dependent, not a limit on qualifying child.

I ask the tax payer if his kids worked.  Yes, both filed tax returns, didn't claim dependency.  I end up removing the 19 yr old from the return, amend his return claiming dependency and taking education tax credit.  That worked out okay.

I efile the return again with just the 15 yr old and it rejects again.  Same messaging.  Only when I check the box taking the child as Other Dependent will it accept, but the taxpayer missed out on $1500 of a tax credit.

What did I do wrong?  What am I missing here?  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
Sherrera
Level 2

i am waiting to see the response, hopefully from proseries as i am having the same issue.  

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Why would you remove the 19yr and the education credit from the parents return if it was correct way to file?    You could have mailed the return.

WayneB
Level 1

Parent's AGI limited credit to under $100

0 Cheers
Sherrera
Level 2

im confused.  i don't understand your response.

0 Cheers
JRC
Level 8

Both should be still dependents of the parents.

1st is a student (I assume Full Time) and working

2nd is a Child under age 17.

Earnings do not matter if a full time student and child of the parents.

Recheck each Dependents Name, DOB, SS numbers and are assigned correctly.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I would delete all dependents (right click, then "delete line"), plus delete an extra dependent line or two just in case.  Then re-enter the dependents and see if that fixes it. 

If that doesn't work, you may need to paper-file.

Sherrera
Level 2

so i found out that actually the error that i was getting was incorrect.  the error shouldve been the social security number and name of the dependents did not match.  i made the correction the names that i was missing the middle initial and it went through. 

PROSERIES NEEDS TO SEE IN TO THIS INCORRECT ERROR.