Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Account Verification

It is so crucial we get the taxpayer's bank account verified correctly especially during these financially troubled times when our clients are relying on tax refunds and their upcoming economic impact payments.  I have pleaded with ProSeries for years to provide us a simple bank verification form which would be a single document that allows us to get the client to verify and sign off on the correct routing/account number for purposes of receiving their refund.  I have to manually create this which just is time lost unnecessarily.

Let me know what you think please.

Josh

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

19 Comments 19
itonewbie
Level 15

Simplest thing to so is to get a copy of a cancelled check?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
TAXOH
Level 11

That's what I do, get a copy of their check or have them give me a voided check or have them write down their routing and account numbers.

itonewbie
Level 15

If they don't provide a cancelled or voided check, we have a section in our electronic organizer for direct deposit.  Under that section, for each of the accounts they provide details, they will need to check a box to ascertain that "I confirm that the bank account information and the direct deposit/electronic withdrawal options selected above are correct."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
rbynaker
Level 13

This is one of those things I didn't know I was missing until I had it.  Drake has one and it's great.  I highlight "verify your bank info" and the bank info.  The clients sign it along with their 8879s.  Sometimes I write a note on it "the most important numbers on your tax return!"

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

so they sign off and it still ends up being wrong...even its their fault, its still wrong. 

So Im not sure it really solves the problem, unless you making a typo is generally the problem.

I hold the check right up against my monitor and compare the numbers, haven't finger flubbed one since I started doing this.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

So they sign off and say “that’s my bank account”.  But there is a certain percentage of mankind that is going to sign off because they were told they had to but will never look at it.  To use the words of a dear friend “I’ve got morons on my team”.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive seen a few of the states have it right on their 8879, so it is handy...assuming the client know their routing and acct number and would notice if its wrong.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
rbynaker
Level 13

It's just an "awareness" thing.  For the "where do I sign" folks, they're not going to read the bank info even if the state has it on their signature form.  They're not going to check it on the client copy of their 1040.  They don't understand taxes and don't want to.  The purpose of an 8879 and state equivalent is to obtain authorization to file electronically.  The purpose of a "verify your bank info" form is solely for them to verify their bank info.  It's specifically the "head in the sand" clients that I hand write a note "most important numbers on your tax return" on the form and highlight "verify your bank info".

I'm good at getting this info updated as part of tax prep anyway, but I have had one client whose bank account was compromised between the time they sent me the organizer (checking the box to use prior year bank data for direct deposit) and the time their return was completed.  So in one case we were able to correct the bank info before it got transmitted.  So sure, it's probably mostly paranoia on my part, but I think it does bring awareness to the issue and if I can prevent even one error it's worth it.

itonewbie
Level 15

Bank account changing between data gathering and actual filing is a valid point.

Still an AllStar

TaxWorks had it too!  I miss TaxWorks from back in the day.

BobKamman
Level 15

@itonewbie   "Bank account changing between data gathering and actual filing is a valid point."

Don't tell that to the paperwork freaks who are screaming and yelling about not being able to schedule payments more than three months out.  

Come back this time next year for the posts:  "My client wants me to pay the penalties because I didn't warn him about changing bank accounts."

BobKamman
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now-   "I hold the check right up against my monitor and compare the numbers, haven't finger flubbed one since I started doing this."

Warn your clients that you might be overdue?

itonewbie
Level 15

@BobKamman  They can't pull this stunt with us.  We got this covered in both the EL and transmittal letter.

If they try, it's time to disengage.  But surely, they are out there, like it or not.

Still an AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Negligence can't be waived.  

itonewbie
Level 15

@BobKamman  But that wouldn't be negligence if that's not the result of our mistake but their failure to inform us they had changed their bank account and we specifically instruct them to review the return for items that may require changes before signing it.  How is that negligence?

Still an AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

@itonewbie   

You mean, you don't check back with them every month to make sure they still have the bank account, and remind them that you have set it up for an automatic withdrawal?  I'm sure some will consider that negligent.  

Not to mention, I'm so old I can remember all the failed banks that were taken over by FDIC or FSLIC during the 2008 economic crisis. Most of their accounts were assigned to healthier banks, with new numbers.  You know that banks are going to fail, when there is bipartisan support in Congress for pumping cash into the economy to save some of them.  

itonewbie
Level 15

Gotcha!  I think we all should as a matter of best practice, lol.

Still an AllStar

I am switching to UltraTax and now I can obtain bank verification through a wet signature on a form or through e-signature.  Life is good.  It amazes me how Intuit wouldn't add this very simple feature after requesting it for many years.  I was a 10 year customer.  I never heard from the company until now when I have not renewed.  UltraTax is pricier I know but so worth it.

0 Cheers
judy-pentacle1
Level 1

There is form for corporations--why not individual?

0 Cheers