rbynaker
Level 13

It's just an "awareness" thing.  For the "where do I sign" folks, they're not going to read the bank info even if the state has it on their signature form.  They're not going to check it on the client copy of their 1040.  They don't understand taxes and don't want to.  The purpose of an 8879 and state equivalent is to obtain authorization to file electronically.  The purpose of a "verify your bank info" form is solely for them to verify their bank info.  It's specifically the "head in the sand" clients that I hand write a note "most important numbers on your tax return" on the form and highlight "verify your bank info".

I'm good at getting this info updated as part of tax prep anyway, but I have had one client whose bank account was compromised between the time they sent me the organizer (checking the box to use prior year bank data for direct deposit) and the time their return was completed.  So in one case we were able to correct the bank info before it got transmitted.  So sure, it's probably mostly paranoia on my part, but I think it does bring awareness to the issue and if I can prevent even one error it's worth it.