Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Partial Principal Distributions from an Estate Required to be Reported on a K-1 if the Current Year Income is Less than the $600 Filing Threshold

JAS 1947
Level 1

I'm trying to help an administrator of an estate comply with IRS requirements. The estate's first 1041 included income which was all taxed at the estate level on 1041. The administrator has filed written requests for abatement of penalties, which is the sole reason the estate is still open after 2 years. The Estate had a taxable loss in 2023. However, a partial distribution of the estate's assets was made during 2023. There were also some expenses that could be claimed by the beneficiaries on Schedule A if they exceed the miscellaneous expense threshold.

1. Would you file a Form 1041 even though there is a taxable loss?

2. Are partial distributions from principal required to be reported on Schedule K-1?. 

Thank you.

Joe S

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

1. Yes

2. Where are you planning to list them on the K-1?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

I'm curious how a 'taxable loss' is handled ???

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
sjrcpa
Level 15

A loss won't pass through to beneficiaries unless it is a final return. At that point it is generally excess deductions on termination.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

Susan.... you missed my *tongue in cheek". When is any 'loss' taxable 😉 ??

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"