Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversion of traditional IRA to Roth IRA

sly
Level 2

I'm using Pro Series Professional.  Client converted Traditional IRA  tp a Roth.  I entered the 1099R coded G.  Now I need step by step instructions to get the converted amount to form 8606 Part 2 to report it as taxable..  nothing I try works. Please,  HELP!   

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

With a code G I dont think it will flow to the 8606 like youd expect, it also wont make it taxable like it should be if its got a Code G

If it were a Code 2 or 7 and you marked the Conversion box on Page 2 of the 1099R worksheet, then everything would flow as it should, but that Code G is throwing a stick in the spokes. 

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

It shouldn't have been coded as a G.   Are you sure it went into a ROTH? 

Have you seen the statement showing the deposit and it shows that its a ROTH account?   

Clients dont always know for sure whats really happened. 

I have clients that convert from a Traditional to a ROTH every year, they're never coded as a G.

ljr
Level 8

if it went into a Roth it is taxable and should not be a code G

sly
Level 2

The 5498 shows  "2023 IRA Contribution Information"  then it shows  the Fair Market value of the account, the  Roth conversion amount & a normal Roth contribution for 2023.  I cannot find a worksheet that shows 2023 conversion amount where I can put in the amount converted that will flow to the 8606 Part 2.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

With a code G I dont think it will flow to the 8606 like youd expect, it also wont make it taxable like it should be if its got a Code G

If it were a Code 2 or 7 and you marked the Conversion box on Page 2 of the 1099R worksheet, then everything would flow as it should, but that Code G is throwing a stick in the spokes. 

sly
Level 2

I just put in a code 2 on the 1099R & it flowed to the 8606.  So the client needs to go back & have the code changed from a G to a 2? Right?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I doubt the financial institution will want to make any corrections, as long as the client has it reported right, Id just move on.

qbteachmt
Level 15

This is the same subject as your original topic here, right?

https://accountants.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/client-converted-tradi...

Same taxpayer? Because we asked for some confirmation, if this was SEP, SIMPLE IRA, employer plan, or did you confirm it was from a Traditional IRA? And for the to account, was the Roth IRA, or Roth 401(k) or?

The G identifier indicates plan and not Account. That means there is a retirement Plan, such as under an employer or self-employed (SEP) and there will be plan documents. Not just accounts. Trad IRA and Roth IRA are individual (nonemployer plan) accounts.

"The 5498 shows  "2023 IRA Contribution Information"  "

That's helpful. I am the one that mentioned getting the 5498.

A contribution is separate from any conversion, so you have two events, apparently.

"the  Roth conversion amount & a normal Roth contribution for 2023."

Exactly.

If something is coded G as nontaxable, you might discover this was from/to a Roth 401(k) or "designated" Roth.

Has your taxpayer been able to learn more about their own retirement participation from their plan administrator?

"I cannot find a worksheet that shows 2023 conversion amount where I can put in the amount converted that will flow to the 8606 Part 2."

Maybe it doesn't have to.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
sly
Level 2

It was not from a 401K.  The company gave everyone a choice , take a total distribution or do a conversion to a Roth IRA.  They also told them that the amount converted would be taxable , so that rules out a non-taxable event.  There was no basis in her IRA.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"The company gave everyone a choice , take a total distribution or do a conversion to a Roth IRA."

So right here, your statement confirms this is not from a Traditional IRA. That's where your input is going wrong, then. It is in fact under an employer plan. Were you able to confirm that is a SIMPLE IRA plan? A SEP-IRA?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
sly
Level 2

Thanks to everyone for helping me on this conversion matter.  I finally got the client to call her advisor & tell them we needed the 1099R coded 2.   He told her there was no need, it was a non-taxable matter.  But I told her to insist the 5498 shows a taxable conversion.   They finally e-mailed her & said, because I was so adamant on a 1099R they looked into the matter deeper & low and behold, they said they found the 1099R coded 2 under a stack of her documents.  They immediately e-mailed it to her & the whole mess is cleared up.   43 years of doing taxes & never had a situation like this.