Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amending MFS to MFJ

david3
Level 7

I originally prepared TP's tax return as MFJ. After sending the tax return to the TPs, they said they wanted to file MFS because of the potential student loan forgiveness.

Now the client wants the returns amended to claim MFJ, since the student loan wasn't forgiven.

I am trying to figure out if I can use the original MFJ return, that wasn't filed, as the base to amend the 2 MFS returns. It appears that I can't use the MFJ return to prepare the amended return and that I have to use the TP's originally filed MFS and enter all the spouse's info again.

Before i go to the extra work, I am wondering if someone else has had this situation and was able to use the originally prepared MFJ return as the base return to prepare the amended return.

Thank you.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I dont see how you would use that original 1040 MFJ return as the 1040X for the 2 different MFS returns to be amended to (but at least you can see what the end result should be!)....what a mess.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I dont see how you would use that original 1040 MFJ return as the 1040X for the 2 different MFS returns to be amended to (but at least you can see what the end result should be!)....what a mess.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
david3
Level 7

Thanks, Lisa.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I would print out the original MFJ, write "Amending Separate to Joint" across the top of Page 1 with a Sharpie, and send it to IRS.  They're going to have to do something with it, and the worst they can do is send it back.  It might be easier for them to process, than what they have to do with a 1040-X.  

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

If you want to know what IRS would do with the MFJ return, read the manual.

Processing Married Filing Separate, Single, or Head of Household to Married Filing Joint Adjustments

https://www.irs.gov/irm/part21/irm_21-006-001r#idm140639315526928