Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amending 2020 return from MFS to MFJ

SoMuchPressure
Level 1

Returns were filed and accepted in 2020 MFS. Couple wishes to amend to MFJ, using wife as taxpayer and husband as spouse. Both spouses received refunds in 2020; wife's refund was approx $3,000, and husband's was approx $130. By filing jointly, software is saying they will be due an additional $2800, but I cannot see anywhere that the software is taking into account the $130 already received by the husband. How do I ensure that the spouse's refund is taken into consideration and not double paid? 

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Camp1040
Level 10

Put that amended return to the side and work on your current returns. As you know, you can't efile a 2020 amended return so no rush.

BobKamman
Level 15

Make sure your malpractice insurance is paid before following @Camp1040 advice.  You can't amend MFS to MFJ more than three years after the due date of the separate returns.  It's a paper return, so make sure you get to the Post Office before they close and get a receipt with mailing date. 

Both refunds should be shown on Line 18 of the Form 1040-X.  You can override that line.  You can override anything you want, it's a paper return.   

Camp1040
Level 10

Oops!

Or any "Generally"

Generally, you must file an amended return within 3 years after the date you filed your original return or 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. If you filed early, count from the April tax deadline.

Brainstrom
Level 4

So they couldn't decide back in 2020 if they were MFJ or MFS and now they are looking for more $$$. I would send them down the road!!!!

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Since we are going to be judgmental, I'll instead condemn the Congress that decided forgiveness of student debt for teachers and healthcare providers in poor neighborhoods required them to file separately and forego tax breaks that MFJ would allow.  And I'm going to assume this couple, once their debt was forgiven, decided to benefit from the laws that the wealthy enjoy.  

0 Cheers