Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amended return Estimated tax payments

Morphioso
Level 1

An efiled 2021 1040 has to be amended for an increase of income. This will change the amount required for estimated tax payments. The original return had the 1st qtr payment being done electronically. Will submitting the amended return successfully change the amount of the original return, and NOT cause duplicate estimated tax withdrawals for the client?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Id be sure to uncheck the box for direct debit of the ES on the amended return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Morphioso
Level 1

I thought of that and was left wondering if the efiled amended return would then cancel the efiled original 1st qtr est payment entirely. So I am having the client mail in the 1040x which of course take months to process, and either mail in the additional tax payment separately to a payment center or do it at IRS Direct Pay, choice is theirs. Advised that paying the estimated difference in a separate payment while there brings it to even on that front. This way date stamps beat the deadline but the original efiled return processes as is. I made the client new vouchers for qts 2,3 and 4 with choices for the 2nd qtr determined on whether they made up the shortfall or not at Direct Pay.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

In case I didn't already have enough reasons not to be in the payment processing business.  Here's another one.

My (limited) understanding is that any payments that get sent with the efile get shuffled off to a different department.  The only way to cancel them is to call that department.  So my guess would be (like Lisa said) that if you submit another 1Q-ES payment with the amended return it will ADD to the EFT queue (and then be taken along with the originally scheduled EFT).