Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2021 Tax Return Rejection

Futch2010
Level 3

Received client's 2020 tax return late December.  Couldn't file the 2020 return until January 2022.  Just filed his 2021 tax return and it has been rejected as "submission must not be a duplicate of a previously accepted submission."  No one else has filed his return.  Any help would be great.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
poolcleaner
Level 9

All the crooks of the world need is your name and SSN.  They will supply the rest of the information including a place for the IRS to send the refund. File the return on paper.

Another Former All Star

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
sjrcpa
Level 15

Sounds like someone did file a return using his SSN even if it wasn't you.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
and youre sure you used the 2020 program to file the 2020 return? You didnt use the 2021 program by mistake?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Futch2010
Level 3

2020 ProSeries used...

0 Cheers
Futch2010
Level 3

He said that no one else has his information to file a return on him

0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9

All the crooks of the world need is your name and SSN.  They will supply the rest of the information including a place for the IRS to send the refund. File the return on paper.

Another Former All Star

poolcleaner
Level 9

The only other choice is to contact the IRS by telephone.

0 Cheers
cih623H
Level 2

I had this happen for a 2019 return. Turned out my client had gone on to the IRS and listed himself as a non-filer to receive his stimulus payment. Ended up having to paper file and still have not received his refund.  The only way I could get ahold of the IRS was to call the fraud line. That's how I found out what had happened. Good luck! 

BillPurf
Level 2

What is the best phone number to contact the IRS about rejected returns?  The "where's my refund" portal isn't getting any results.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Whats the rejection you're getting?  If a return is rejected, you wouldnt find it on Wheres My Refund, so you may want to add some additional details.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BillPurf
Level 2

It's possible that someone else used the taxpayers' social security numbers prior to our filing; I need the IRS fraud number, or the best number to call.

0 Cheers