Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does IRS still accept form 9654 installment payment (I/A) plan request via efile return? What is the best effective request I/A?

Hello everyone

This year 2021,  I requested payment plan (I/A) for some taxpayers and looked like the IRS system changed. The tax payers have not received any approval or rejection letters. Normally, I acknowledged that the time frame is  to process I/A debit withdrawn in 90 days. One of taxpayers now receive CP14 from IRS, that notice to inform balance due . I made some research and realized lot of taxpayers complaint with Turbo tax about this issue also. I am using professional proseries. Last year 2020 it was working well with the request 9654 included in efile return.

Does any one have any information about IRS's change? 

Does any one have the same issue?

Now Online payment plan request: if from individual taxpayer, the taxpayer needs create online account with ID.me (it is not easy). If from POA, then POA online is not easy either because both representative and individual taxpayer need online account (for immediately POA).  Fax POA is time consuming. Call IRS takes 2-4 hrs. Which is the best effective way? Please share info

I appreciate all your shares

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
In prior years it would take 3-4 months before someone saw an acceptance/rejection letter for an installment application sent along with the return...Im sure that timeline is longer now.

Have your clients make payments via IRS DirectPay until the IRS system is updated to account for the installment application.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Yes, Liza

I always asked taxpayer to make debit withdrawn initial payment to make sure IRS got correct account and take action on payment when efiling return as proof filing go through

Thank you for your support

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
They can also make monthly payments through DirectPay until the IRS starts the automatic installment payments.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Thank you