Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-Q, where to enter

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I know how to handle it in normal situation but what if client brings me 1099-Q for his daughter but client is divorced and his wife claims the student.. the 1099-Q is in dad's name for the benefit of his non-dependent daughter.. program is including the gains in income and a penalty.. how can you show expenses for college for a student that is not a dependent.. where do i put the expenses.. thank you

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
PATAX
Level 15

Jim if the entire amount on the 1099q was used for qualified education expenses then I do not think you have to enter it anywhere. If I am wrong someone will come along and correct me.

IRonMaN
Level 15

PA is correct

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

very good. .thank you both

PATAX
Level 15

you're welcome

beanieweenie
Level 2
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

While it is true nothing gets sent with return, it always good to show your work.  This involves contacting parents and student to see how much tuition and room & board was incurred.  Then finding out how much parents used for tuition credit and how much either already offset against savings bonds or their own 1099-Q.  You get to use whats left to offset your earnings.

Entry on top line of Q worksheet is beneficiary is someone else.  Below the distributions from death there is tab for other student worksheet.  Fill this out with amount used by others on line 17.

0 Cheers