Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me understand IL / WI reciprocity: Taxpayer lives in IL, worked in WI, why wouldn't the WI taxes be fully refunded?

jeanmarc
Level 4

I have a client with a W2 where he paid $1479 in Wisconsin taxes but he was a full-year resident of Illinois. I would think that because of the reciprocity agreement between the states he would be refunded the entire $1479 on the WI return. But, he is only being refunded $480.

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
dkh
Level 15

Are you filing as NonResident for Wisconsin?     At the bottom of the Federal Information Sheet is section to enter Nonresident information.

jeanmarc
Level 4

Correction: it's $1480 in WI taxes.

0 Cheers
jeanmarc
Level 4

Yes, that part has been filled out as IL Full-Year Resident and WI Nonresident.
Correction though: It's $1480 in WI taxes.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

If he is full resident of Illinois and works in WI, he should be refunded the whole dollar amount and he will owe Illinois tax on that income. 

dkh
Level 15

@jeanmarc   So everything is working correctly ? refund amount is correct for the $1480 wages ?  

0 Cheers
jeanmarc
Level 4

@garman22 That’s what I thought too but Proseries is not giving him a full refund on the WI taxes so I wonder if there is something else I must do? I have him listed as full time IL resident and WI nonresident. 

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Make sure on the fed info worksheet page you quickzoom to Wi NR and put zero down on earnings from WI. Then there is a line to put Illinois on Wisconsin State Return. There now should be the full refund. As of now its seems like its taxing it. 

Make sense?

0 Cheers