Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1098t

MGC94
Level 7

HOH taxpayer 

w2 $88,000

1 dependent 17

1 dependent 22

1098t $46,000

only credit for 1098t is $790. I double checked my input. Why so low? 

If I put it on the sons who made $10K he gets $1k credit

Why is the taxpayer/moms credit so low? am I missing something???? AOC yes and LLC yes for both it says 

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

Simple.  If you have 'double-checked" your input.  Then, find the $790 credit on your 1040.  And drill down on each preceding form, until you find the form with the limitation. then STUDY and REVIEW that form to find your answer.  That is what 99.9% of tax preparers would do.  So they would know the answer themselves the next time this issue arose. You can't expect this community to analyze every return that you don't understand.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
MGC94
Level 7

I can't figure it out. That is why I am asking 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Has the possibility of income limitations crossed your mind?

Slava Ukraini!
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@IRonMaN has it. 

There are income limitations to the credit and why would the dependent get the refundable $1k portion of the credit?

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

A dependent cannot receive any education credits only the TP that is claiming the dependent, and the credit has income limitations, as others have pointed out.

What are the income limits for AOTC?

• To claim the full credit, your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) must be $80,000 or less ($160,000 or less for married filing jointly).
  • You receive a reduced amount of the credit if your MAGI is over $80,000 but less than $90,000 (over $160,000 but less than $180,000 for married filing jointly).
  • You cannot claim the credit if your MAGI is over $90,000 ($180,000 for joint filers).
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

You do know that when you click on an amount on a line that is not a number you have input and it has the little magnifying glass symbol, that you can click on it and it will take you back to the form that number came from.  and keep doing that til you reach the limitation form.  

Also, if you are at a line, and click on it, and the magnifying glass doesn't appear, you can right click your mouse, and find the last two options of that right click (cross reference, etc), they will normally  lead you to those calculations.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.