Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040SR: should i always use?

Golfer2016
Level 2

Should I always use the 1040SR?  I don't think it can itemize. I am just wondering if by using the regular 1040 it will disadvantage them.  

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
6 Replies 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

The tax will be the same no matter which form is used. I am not using SR. I have a hard enough time remembering where things should show up the new 1040. Not looking to learn another form.

ex-AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15
I let the program go wild and use what ever it wants. At least it is not a postcard size aberration.
6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. I like raised glazed.

ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

I do a lot of returns for retired folks so out of curiosity, I went in and counted all of the returns I prepared in the 1040SR format.  If my math is correct, to date I have zero 1040SR returns.  I am hoping to decrease that amount next year.  Who knows, maybe next year they will come out with something new again.  Maybe a 1040COVID to help account for all of those permanently retired folks named deceased that received stimulus payments.

ACME Taxes, Tatoos, Tires and Turtles (I've expanded my line of products to better serve you)
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I dont use it, I never used the 1040A or 1040EZ either.  It's easier for me if everyone uses the same form.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

My feeling, too.

ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

Same schedules, same options, different Size for easier fill in by Old People:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/new-form-1040-sr-alternative-filing-option-available-for-seniors

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers