Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to import my 1099-B stock trading activity into my return. Must I scan the 1099-B pages into my computer,and then import it into the return via lightning bolt?

Wallyworld
Level 1
I have my tax prep account already set up with Intuit Link.  Does the Link go out and retrieve all 1099s in my name and gather them on my computer?  Or, must I scan them into my computer manually and then select the lightning bolt feature to gather them and input them into my return?

One of the 1099-B forms contains about 200 trading transactions and dividend/interest reporting items.  It is tedious to manually enter each of these items separately.
0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
sjrcpa
Level 15

If the 1099-B transactions are covered transactions you don't need to enter the details, just the totals. Break into LT and ST.

Ex-AllStar
puravidapto
Level 7

and attach the PDF?

--
Click this link to vote. Like many good things in life, we have to fight for them.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

and attach the PDF?

@puravidapto 

Attaching a PDF of covered transaction is not necessary.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
puravidapto
Level 7

"Attaching a PDF of covered transaction is not necessary." - I believe you have to attach a PDF if you use summarized result even if they are covered. Agree? I responded to the answer suggesting to use the summarized numbers.

--
Click this link to vote. Like many good things in life, we have to fight for them.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

No, a pdf isn’t required

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

"  Agree?  "

No, that the main point of "covered" transactions.  The IRS already has the details, especially basis.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

It sucks that the IRS doesn't provide instructions about how to handle this common situation, so you have to ask random people on the Internet.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040sd#en_US_2022_publink1000308708

"If you choose to report these transactions on lines 1a and 8a, don't report them on Form 8949. You don't need to attach a statement to explain the entries on lines 1a and 8a and, if you e-file your return, you don't need to file Form 8453."