Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing Extension

bzellmer
Level 1

How do I show that the taxpayer filed an 1040 extension before I started work with them as my client?

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
puravidapto
Level 7

The IRS record transcript should have an entry.

--
Click this link to vote. Like many good things in life, we have to fight for them.
0 Cheers
bzellmer
Level 1

How do I navigate to that / or look at it?

Is there an input opportunity in ProConnect to show an extension was filed when the extension was not filed from ProConnect?  If so, how do I access this?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

There generally shouldn't be a need to enter that an extension was filed.

Or are you trying to do something that you NEED to tell the software that, such as calculating late penalties?

0 Cheers
bzellmer
Level 1

Yes, I would like it to calculate penalties.  For the 2021 return I am doing, my understanding is that they will not be different as they are at maximum.  However, I am also doing a 2022 return for the same client and there will be late payment but no late filing because the client filed an extension.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Are you also doing a state return?  Various states have various requirements.  The Arizona return has a box to check to indicate an extension was filed -- I think you do that from a question on the information worksheeet, with ProSeries.  

0 Cheers
bzellmer
Level 1

Yes, I am also doing a North Carolina return

0 Cheers