Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot seem to clear the error ;When filing an extension, the State of California requires an amount due and for the amount to be paid electronically via direct debit. CA -

Vita86
Level 1

I filed an extension for Federal, since the client does not owe any money to state does this mean I do not need to file an extension for California. If I do how do I bypass this message? 

Thank You

Vita 

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
abctax55
Level 15

1)  It's too late to file an extension for Ca (unless, maybe your client is one of the counties recently declared a disaster area?  But, if so - I would believe it's automatic)

2) UNLESS there's a payment, the CA extension is automatic.

3) For future reference, at least in Lacerte - unclick the CA box when submitting extensions.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Vita86
Level 1

Thank You for responding, I just want to make sure my client is not going to have any fees. She does not owe anything to state. 

The system did not allow me to file the extension for CA just Federal yesterday.. 

Then on the FTB website it says that its automatic,

We give you an automatic 6-month extension to file your return. You must file by the deadline to avoid a late filing penalty. The deadline is October 15, 2024.

I'm just confused, it's my first year using Intuit.

This is what it looks like.

Federal Extension

Accepted04/15/2024 07:02 PM
California Extension

Not e-filed
0 Cheers