Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lacerte Options/Settings - New computer

amec
Level 4

Our firm is updating computers. Do I need to back up the options/settings by tax type? Do I need to update them by tax year?

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
DatabaseRobert
Level 4

If you are in a network/multi-user environment, look on the menu | Settings | System File Path | Change | <copy that path displayed>, and then 'Esc'ape back out to the Client List.

Win+E (Open Windows Explorer) and paste that path into the address bar.

In Lacerte, F10 and on the "System Information"/first tab, scroll down to the bottom to see your "Lacerte workstation number".  (Mine is always "001" because I always install the new year's software on my machine, first, in order to set the Master Options.

Again, if you are on a network, go to the "OpMaster.W#" (where "#" is the terminal digit for the year you are in) and copy that file.  You may also want to get OPT???.W# (where "???" is your workstation number, from above, and # is still the terminal year digit) as well, since those are YOUR settings.

Copy both of those to a USB, or email them to yourself, or some such.  On the new machine, bring in your Master file and also YOUR user settings.  If you are connecting the new machine to the same network, you don't need to do any of that, just open Lacerte and the Master will create a new Opt file for that workstation.

If you happen to want YOUR settings on that new machine on the network, F10 to find that new workstation number and then CLOSE LACERTE completely.
  Open <your old workstation number> Opt??? file.  Select all, copy, close file.
  Open <that new workstation number> Opt??? file.  Select all, PASTE, close file.  (Overwrites & destroys what was there.)
  Run Lacerte on that new machine, now with YOUR old settings from before.

Any given OPT??? file has sections for [IND], [FID], [SCO], [PAR], and so on, contained within it.  That file is all you need, for ALL modules' information.

Robert Kirk
Rockville, MD

0 Cheers