Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K-1's

Debbi
Level 1

I have a Partnership that received a K-1 from another pass thru entity. (Partnership). This K-1 shows 

a $45,000 loss.  The Capital account shows a loss of $100,000. I noticed on the software there isn't anywhere to enter the basis and the program is taking the loss against ordinary income. Because of the basis, being zero, I thought the partnership cannot take the loss. So what do i do? It also show a distribution on the K-1, so wouldn't the excess of his basis be taxable? How do I do this on Lacerte?

Thank you so much. I am at a loss......

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
abctax55
Level 15

You have to track, and override....  I use excel.  

And don't forget at-risk & non-recourse/recourse loan consideration.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
sjrcpa
Level 15

Compute the basis yourself and calculate the allowable loss. Enter the allowable loss in the partnership return. Maintain a schedule for your file showing loss in excess of basis for next year. Remember that capital account balance is hardly ever basis.

You'll have an M-1 adjustment for book loss/tax loss difference.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

We're on a jinx roll tonight Anna.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

Because we are to burned out to work on aaaaaaaaallllllllll  those returns staring at me from the various piles I have stacked about?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"