Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS Letter 5071C identity verification

Renee Snow
Level 2

Hi Community,

My client received notice 5071C asking her to verify her identity. She has a refund of 82K the IRS is holding until her ID can be verified. She has tried repeatedly to call the 800# on the notice and the line always has the message "We are sorry due to high call volume we are unable to take your call at this time, please call back the next day." 

I had her complete a 2848 and called the practitioner line yesterday. After 50 minutes on hold I spoke to an agent who said I would have to call the same 800# listed on the 5071C, that the practitioner line was unable to process ID related issues.

My client is locked out of the online site to verify her identity. I have tried the 800# repeatedly, at all times of day, and am unable to get through.

Has anyone successfully helped their client? Is the only recourse to visit an IRS office in person. 

Thanks!

Renee 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

These are so frustrating, I'm sorry.

Look up Taxpayer Advocate Service.  You may be eligible for their assistance now that you've tried so many times.  I've only used it once (a couple months ago on a similar issue, and it worked), but I recently read that they are backlogged.

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*
George4Tacks
Level 15

A visit to the local IRS office would be a total waste of time. How did the client get locked out of the online tool? https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/identity-verification-for-irs-letter-recipients

I agree that TAS may be a solution. https://www.irs.gov/taxpayer-advocate

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Renee Snow
Level 2

Thank you so much. I'll try the taxpayer advocate service per your suggestion. Is anyone working at the IRS?

0 Cheers
Renee Snow
Level 2

Hi George,

My client said she couldn't remember a credit card they were using for verification and then the system locked her out. I think I'll try the Taxpayer Advocate Service. Thanks so much. Renee

0 Cheers