Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deceased Maryland resident final return is defaulting to 505 non-resident return

Settlage
Level 3

Lacerte auto-fills the residence information on page 1 of Form 505, but in "dates of residence" puts "none" to "none."  If I then override those dates to the actual dates taxpayer was alive - 1/1/-7/11/20 (which is already input in date of death section), it still generates a non-resident return, but then eliminates the standard deduction.  I don't think either of these can be correct. And for the life of me, I can't figure out how to correct this.  Help!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

In Screen 1 top of screen, did you put a check mark for Full Year Resident?  Do NOT check the next box. I think you should be using 502.

There should not be any entries in Screen 55 - Dead residents are full year residents, even if they are buried in another state. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

In Screen 1 top of screen, did you put a check mark for Full Year Resident?  Do NOT check the next box. I think you should be using 502.

There should not be any entries in Screen 55 - Dead residents are full year residents, even if they are buried in another state. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Settlage
Level 3

Holy cow! That did it! I knew it had to be something utterly simple. Not even sure how the full year resident box got unchecked; she's been a client for years.  But that fixed it.  You're my hero; thanks!

Settlage
Level 3

Also, thanks for the good laugh..."even if they are buried in another state"!