david3's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

david3's Posts

Yes. Thank you.
Distribution. He isn't using it for business and wants to transfer it his name because the insurance will be significantly lower.
Thank you, Terry.  
S Corp single shareholder wants to transfer the company vehicle to himself.  My search resulted in many unrelated topics. The vehicle originally cost $60K in 2019 and only $3K basis remains. I know... See more...
S Corp single shareholder wants to transfer the company vehicle to himself.  My search resulted in many unrelated topics. The vehicle originally cost $60K in 2019 and only $3K basis remains. I know that the FMV will be taxed at the ordinary tax rate because of depreciation recapture, but I don't know how to enter this in PS. Entering the information in the property distributions statement on Schedule K line 16 d does nothing. Do I record it as a sale in the dispositions section of the Asset Entry Worksheet, just as I would with any sale?  Thank you.
The doctor's wife prepares a manual P&L and Balance Sheet in Excel. She wasn't sure how to handle a lot of this. I'm weeding through all the documentation and matching against her P&L. I just wasn't... See more...
The doctor's wife prepares a manual P&L and Balance Sheet in Excel. She wasn't sure how to handle a lot of this. I'm weeding through all the documentation and matching against her P&L. I just wasn't sure if the 1099-MISC income was supposed to be reported in the Sch K area, with interest, dividends, capital gains, etc. or just reported on line 5, "Ordinary income".  I'll report it on line 5.  Thank you.
1120-S client received a 1099-MISC reporting box 3 Other Income. Where is this entered on the 1120-S?  The client is a single shareholder doctor. His practice is included in a group that sold to ano... See more...
1120-S client received a 1099-MISC reporting box 3 Other Income. Where is this entered on the 1120-S?  The client is a single shareholder doctor. His practice is included in a group that sold to another entity. My client has not sold his business. So, the S Corp is receiving sales proceeds, goodwill, 1099-DIV, K-1s and other investment related documents related to this partnership group. The S Corp has never received K-1s or other documents from this group in the past. I'm guessing the 1099-DIV is entered on Sch K line 5. Also, the sales proceeds, goodwill, etc. would be entered on Sch K lines 7 and 8. I've never had an S Corp that has received these type of documents, so I want to make sure I enter them correctly.  There aren't instructions for entering the 1099-MISC. I can't click on the "Where Do I Enter" box. For some years now, whenever I click on that box, PS freezes up. Any idea how to fix that? Thanks for your help.
I followed the instructions and saved the file as amended 1, closed it and then opened the first amended return and made the changes. I don't know why amended returns have to be so hard to e-file in... See more...
I followed the instructions and saved the file as amended 1, closed it and then opened the first amended return and made the changes. I don't know why amended returns have to be so hard to e-file in PS.
I prepared a second amended 2020 1120S due to ERC credits the client received. I followed all the instructions on how to file a second amended 1120S. However, when I check the box on the EF informat... See more...
I prepared a second amended 2020 1120S due to ERC credits the client received. I followed all the instructions on how to file a second amended 1120S. However, when I check the box on the EF information Worksheet to file another federal amended return electronically, I get an error message that says The additional Amended Return check box can not be selected for E-Filing because the original Amended Return does not have an "Accepted" E-Filing status from the IRS.  The client status shows that the first amended tax return was e-file accepted. What do I need to do in order to e-file the second 1120S?
Yes, but had to uncheck it since I received a message saying that CO amended couldn't be e-filed and to paper file it.
I was asking if a CO 104X can be e-filed, not a 1040X (Individual). I already know a federal amended personal return can be e-filed. CO 104X is and amended individual tax return. Thank you.
I keep seeing in PS articles and posts that a CO amended 104X can be e-filed through PS software. CO appears in the state e-file drop down box on the Information Worksheet. However, every time I hav... See more...
I keep seeing in PS articles and posts that a CO amended 104X can be e-filed through PS software. CO appears in the state e-file drop down box on the Information Worksheet. However, every time I have tried to e-file a CO 104X, I get a message that says it isn't eligible for e-filing and to paper file. For 1120S and 1065, CO is grayed out under the e-file amended column. So, it appears that CO S Corp and Partnership tax returns can't be e-filed.  How do I e-file an amended CO 104X without getting the can't e-file message? Thank you.
Thanks, Jim.
Thanks, that makes sense. Evidently, I didn't understand the purpose of the state allocation worksheet. I thought that was the method to allocate income to each state to calculate the state tax owed... See more...
Thanks, that makes sense. Evidently, I didn't understand the purpose of the state allocation worksheet. I thought that was the method to allocate income to each state to calculate the state tax owed for each state.  I see now that the 104 PN has a line to enter the CO taxable amount. Hopefully, the state allocation won't carryover to that form and not allow me to manually change it without overriding it. I won't know until I complete the client's tax returns - he has missing information I'm waiting for. Thanks for your help.
Thank you, qbteachmt, So, maybe I report the W-2 line 1 wages as CO wages on line 16 and the NE wages on line 16 AND not worry about the state allocation worksheet showing the total wages allocated ... See more...
Thank you, qbteachmt, So, maybe I report the W-2 line 1 wages as CO wages on line 16 and the NE wages on line 16 AND not worry about the state allocation worksheet showing the total wages allocated to CO. Then, I manually adjust that on the 104-PN nonresident/part-year resident form? I'll see if that works. It still doesn't make sense that the state allocation worksheet allows the allocated amounts to be greater than the federal amount. Oh well, I guess that's how PS works. Thanks for your help.
Thanks, Lisa. The only thing that gets rid of the error for the W-2 state ID number, is entering the EIN, as you suggested. I hope that won't cause an e-file rejection down the road when the return ... See more...
Thanks, Lisa. The only thing that gets rid of the error for the W-2 state ID number, is entering the EIN, as you suggested. I hope that won't cause an e-file rejection down the road when the return is filed. I also did as you suggested and unmarked the W-2 auto calculate box. The state allocation wks. returned to two lines for the wages, one for each state. However, the total allocated wages amount is higher than the federal amount. I'm surprised that it didn't result in an error. The CO wages reported on the W-2 is the same amount reported on line 1 - $62K. The NE wages reported on the W-2 in box  16 is $5K. The state allocation wks. amounts show $62K for CO and $5K for NE with total allocated amount of $67K, which is higher than the total wages reported in the federal column of the state allocation sheet. If I try to change the CO amount to $57K, another row pops up on the state allocation wks. and red error boxes appear. I guess the only way to get around the errors is to change the W-2 CO state wages reported on line 16 to $57K instead of the total line 1 wages of $62K. This won't match the W-2. Will this result in an e-file rejection or cause problems downstream when I try to e-file? Thanks for your help.                                                  
TP moved from CO to NE with same CO based employer. The W-2 reports total line 1 wages as CO wages on Box 16. The W-2 lists NE in Box 15 with no NE state ID number, a NE wages amount in Box16 and the... See more...
TP moved from CO to NE with same CO based employer. The W-2 reports total line 1 wages as CO wages on Box 16. The W-2 lists NE in Box 15 with no NE state ID number, a NE wages amount in Box16 and the state income tax is blank in Box 17. PS gives an error because the NE ID number isn't listed in Box 15. I've tried all zeroes, and tried entering zero in the state income tax Box 17 as well as leaving Box 17 blank. Nothing gets rid of the error. The P.Y. Resident Allocation Worksheet keeps throwing extra red lines in the W-2 section every time I try to allocate the amount of wages between CO and NE. I even deleted the NE line on the W-2 but that didn't help. I tried changing the CO state wages on the W-2 Box 16 to the calculated amount of CO wages and reporting NE wages as reported on the W-2. The extra red lines keep adding up no matter what I try to do to report the correct wages to each state.  I even tried deleting all state resident information on the Info Wks and removing the state allocation wks. However, when I re-enter all the information and then go the state allocation wks., the extra lines with red error spaces still appear. I searched for this problem but nothing showed up for this situation. How should this be reported so that there are no errors on the W-2 NE box 15 ID number and the extra errors appearing on the state allocation worksheet? Thank you. 
How do I adjust the CA Form 5805 underpayment penalty to give the TP relief for the Q4 payment that was due 1/17/23? They were part-year CA residents in 2021 and full-year CA residents in 2022. They... See more...
How do I adjust the CA Form 5805 underpayment penalty to give the TP relief for the Q4 payment that was due 1/17/23? They were part-year CA residents in 2021 and full-year CA residents in 2022. They live in the disaster area. The program is assessing the penalty on 90% of the 2022 tax liability and not the 2021 CA tax liability since they did not file a full year CA return in 2021. I can't find anywhere in the program a way to waive the Q4 estimated payment penalty. How have those of you CA tax preparers handled this in PS? Thank you.
Client received a letter from the state tax department because they didn't follow our e-signature email instructions. They are saying that we did not instruct them on the step that generated the lett... See more...
Client received a letter from the state tax department because they didn't follow our e-signature email instructions. They are saying that we did not instruct them on the step that generated the letter.  They can't find the e-signature email or documents on their computer. I can see the e-file forms, tax return and payment voucher when I click on view in the e-signature dashboard. However, there is no copy of the email message to view. How do we get a copy of the email message that we sent to the client through e-signature? Thank you.