Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to report transfer of S Corp vehicle to owner

david3
Level 7

S Corp single shareholder wants to transfer the company vehicle to himself. 

My search resulted in many unrelated topics.

The vehicle originally cost $60K in 2019 and only $3K basis remains. I know that the FMV will be taxed at the ordinary tax rate because of depreciation recapture, but I don't know how to enter this in PS.

Entering the information in the property distributions statement on Schedule K line 16 d does nothing.

Do I record it as a sale in the dispositions section of the Asset Entry Worksheet, just as I would with any sale? 

Thank you.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

I believe it would be reported as a sale. Here is an article from The Tax Advisor with examples.

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2011/apr/casestudy-apr2011.html

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

I believe it would be reported as a sale. Here is an article from The Tax Advisor with examples.

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2011/apr/casestudy-apr2011.html

david3
Level 7

Thank you, Terry.

Accountant-Man
Level 13

What is the reason for the transfer-payment of wages, repayment of loans, distribution, liquidation?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
david3
Level 7

Distribution. He isn't using it for business and wants to transfer it his name because the insurance will be significantly lower.

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

A word of caution:  the change in ownership may create the state sales/use tax to the vehicle's new owner.  

david3
Level 7

Yes. Thank you.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Assuming there is enough AAA for distributions. I believe the FMV is the value to use for the amount of the distribution.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.